Universal Credit is being introduced in stages.
From 24 October 2018, if you are of working age and you are a resident in the post code area of LU1 or LU2 you will no longer be eligible to claim Housing Benefit. Instead you will have to claim Universal Credit.
However, if you live in postcode areas LU3 or LU4 and /or
- you have three or more children; or
- you live in supported accommodation; (this is generally hostels or exempt accommodation) or
- You live in temporary accommodation: or
- you are of pension credit age
then you must claim Housing Benefit from us instead of Universal Credit.
If you require help with your Council Tax, you will still need to claim Council Tax Reduction from us.
Before you start your online claim with us
- Register – if you aren't already registered with Luton MyAccount, you need to sign up before making your application.
- Prepare documents – you will need to upload evidence to prove things like earnings and rent or mortgage payments. You will see a personalised list of the evidence we need at the end of your application. Please take a note of the evidence you will need to provide in order to complete your claim. Find out more about the types of documents we accept here.
- You MUST bring into the customer service centre original proof of your identity.
Please note – we can not process your claim until you have uploaded your documents and proved your identity
You should upload supporting documents, including scanned copies or photographs, with your form to enable your claim to be assessed and payment made as soon as possible.
Please note that the maximum document size you can upload is 2MB. If you have any file(s) larger than this, visit our electronic document guidance for advice on how to reduce it.