Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Housing Benefits overpayments


What is an overpayment?

An overpayment is where we have paid you or your Landlord Housing Benefit that you were not entitled to.

How can I pay back my overpayment?

If Housing Benefit entitlement is ongoing:
If you have an ongoing entitlement to Housing Benefit, we will make deductions from your weekly Housing Benefit in order to recover this overpayment. You do not need to take any further action.
If you are no longer entitled to Housing Benefit:
You can pay:


Pay online using the link below.
Pay online

Bank payment

Make a one off payment or set up a standing order through your bank.Our bank details are as follows:
Account name: Luton Borough Council
Sort code: 30-66-76
Bank account number: 17256862
Please quote the invoice number you want to pay.

Telephone payment

You can pay by Visa, Maestro, Visa Electron, Mastercard, Solo on our automated telephone payment system. It is available 24 hours a day on 0300 456 2725.
Please note, there is a charge for credit card payments, but no charge for using a debit card.


If you are experiencing financial hardship and can not afford to pay the overpayment we will consider reducing the rate of recovery.
You can make an offer to pay a small amount on a weekly or monthly basis against the outstanding overpayment. However your offer may not necessarily be accepted and you may be asked to complete an income and expenditure form.
Please call us on 0300 790 0345 to speak with a Customer Service Officer who can discuss this with you further.
If you still find it hard to pay in instalments and would like some help with budgeting and debt solutions, please visit the Citizens Advice Bureau website.

Why have I been overpaid?

Overpayments can happen if you do not tell us about a change in circumstances which could affect your benefit, or because we have made a mistake when calculating your benefit.
Overpayments can happen if you forget to tell us that:
  • you have started or changed employment
  • your household income has changed
  • you have moved home
  • somebody had moved into your home
  • a dependent is no longer dependent and child benefit has ceased
This list is not exhaustive and there are other circumstances under which an Overpayment can happen. You must tell us about anything that happens that might affect your benefit entitlement.
Each time your benefit is adjusted, you will receive a notification letter which will give you a breakdown of the calculations used to make that adjustment. You must read this notification letter carefully and let us know if any information is incorrect.

What should I do if I disagree with the overpayment?

Where an adjustment has been made to your benefit claim which has raised an Overpayment, you will receive full details of that Overpayment within your notification letter. This letter will include details of how the Overpayment happened, the amount you were overpaid, the period of the overpayment, how we will recover the overpayment and what to do if you disagree with it.

You will also receive an invoice which gives you an invoice number and tells you how to pay the overpayment.

Can I reduce my overpayment?

Underlying entitlement
Underlying entitlement help to reduce an overpayment of Housing Benefit.
Any overpayment should be reduced by any benefit which you would have been entitled to had all your circumstances been known at the time of the overpayment.
For example: You could be overpaid because you have changed employment and have failed to notify us of this. At a later date, you provide proof of the end of your previous employment and pay slips for your new employment. These confirm that based on your actual income, you could have qualified for some housing benefit.
We could use underlying entitlement to reduce the overpayment by the amount of benefit you were entitled to. This will reduce the amount of the debt owed.
If you believe that your circumstances were different to those that were used when the overpayment was created, please provide evidence of your actual circumstances for that period of time.
Upload evidence
© 2021 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ