Service updates during the coronavirus crisis

Following government advice, we’ve had to make changes to many of our services. Please see the information on coronavirus page, which is regularly updated as new information and advice is released.

Specific council tax updates can be found on this page.

Having trouble paying your Council Tax?

Council Tax Reduction (CTR) - Luton Council

Apply now​           Upload your documents​​​​​​​​​          General enquiry form

Protecting your data

If you claim benefits from us, the way we contact you has changed so that sensitive information about you stays secure. Please read important information here about creating a Switch account to keep your data safe.

The Council Tax Reduction scheme changed on the 1 April 2018. The scheme protects a wider vulnerable group of the community and provides the following people with the most support:

  • pensioners
  • people with disabilities
  • low income households with children
  • carers
  • those receiving a War Disablement Pension, War Widow’s or War Widower’s Pension

Working age disabled residents may find they are now asked to pay a contribution to their Council Tax bill where formerly they paid nothing.

Council Tax Reduction is worked out based on:

  • your age
  • your circumstances (eg number of children, residency status, other adults living with you)
  • the money you have coming in - this includes benefits, savings, pensions and all household income
  • the amount of council tax you have to pay

Other Help available:

rating button