Backdating housing benefit payments
We usually award benefit from the Monday after the day we receive your claim. Sometimes we can pay benefit for a limited period before you make your claim.
If you are of working age, to be considered for backdating, you must:
- make a request for backdated Housing Benefit
- have good reason for not making a claim at an earlier date
- the good reasons must have lasted throughout the whole period that you want us to backdate your claim for Housing Benefit
Housing Benefit can be backdated for a maximum of 1 month if you are of working age.
If you are of pension age you do not need to make a request for backdating. We can treat your claim as if you had sent it to us up to 3 months earlier than the date that you make your claim. For benefit to be considered for this period:
- you or your partner must have been of pensionable age
- liable to pay rent
- must provide proof of your income and capital during this period
How to Apply
If you are of working age and you want us to consider backdating your claim, please request this when you make your claim for Housing Benefit online. Alternatively, you can make a request in writing or by email using the details below.
You must provide all of the following:
- your name, address and Housing Benefit Reference Number
- the dates you want us to backdate your claim from
- the reason(s) why you did not make a claim sooner - this must be supported with evidence where applicable e.g. Hospital Admission/Discharge letters etc
- evidence of all of your income and capital for the whole period you are asking us to backdate e.g. wageslips, bank statements etc
We will write to you as soon as we have made a decision.