Report a change in circumstances
You have a legal duty to advise us if you have any change in circumstances which may affect your housing, Council Tax or any benefits you receive.
Please be aware that a claim may also be adjusted periodically using earnings and/or pension details as verified by real time information (RTI) received from Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC). You do not need to contact us about this, if we need to discuss this further we will get in touch with you.
I want to report a change of address only and I am not in receipt of any benefits
A change of address needs to be reported through Luton MyAccount.
Please note: You will need your Council Tax account number if you already have one.
Report a change of address
Moving to Luton? Find out what else you can do in preparation for your move here.
I want to report a change in address or a change in circumstances and I am in receipt of benefits
Depending on whether you receive Universal Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, you may need to inform both DWP and us about any change in circumstance that affects your benefits.
If anyone in your household:
- starts or stops receiving a benefit or an income e.g. job seekers allowance or earnings
- has a change in income e.g. new employment or increase in earnings / hours of work
- starts or stops making relevant payments e.g. child care costs or expenses for self-employment
- leaves or joins your household e.g. adult child moves out or birth of a new baby
- has a change in the amount of rent paid
Please note:this list is not exhaustive. You must notify all changes which may affect your benefit entitlement
Time limits for notifying changes in circumstances:
- Universal Credit - you must inform DWP of any changes immediately
- Council Tax Reduction - you have to tell us within one month from the date the change occurred
- Housing Benefit - you have to tell us within one month from the date the change occurred
There are two options to choose from depending on your personal circumstances.
I am in receipt of, or have applied for, Universal Credit
If you have started a claim for, or are already in receipt of, Universal Credit, you need to notify DWP of any changes to your circumstances immediately.
PLEASE NOTE: if you receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction from us as part of your Universal Credit, you also need to notify us, see below for further guidance.
I am in receipt of housing benefit and/or Council Tax reduction from Luton Council
A change in circumstances needs to be reported through MyAccount.
Please note: You will need your Council Tax Account Number and Housing Benefit / Council Tax Reduction Claim Reference Number as applicable.
Supporting Evidences for a Change in Circumstance
If you are in receipt of benefits you will be asked to upload documents to support your change of circumstance through a separate link: www.luton.gov.uk/documents.
This page has guidance on the types of documents we accept and more, as well as a link to upload your proofs.