Report a change in circumstances
There are various ways to tell us about a change in your circumstances depending on your personal circumstances.
You have a legal duty to advise us if you have any change in circumstances which may affect your housing situation, Council Tax or any benefits you receive.
Please be aware that a claim may also be adjusted periodically using earnings and/or pension details as verified by real time information (RTI) received from Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC). You do not need to contact us about this. If we need to discuss this further we'll get in touch with you.
I want to report a change of address only and I'm not in receipt of any benefits
Your change of address needs to be reported through our online services.
Moving to Luton? Find out what else you can do in preparation for your move here.
I want to report a change of address or a change in circumstances and I'm in receipt of benefits
Depending on whether you receive Universal Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, you may need to inform us and DWP about any change in circumstance that affects your benefits.
If anyone in your household:
- starts or stops receiving a benefit or an income such as Job Seekers Allowance or earnings
- has a change in income such as new employment or increase in earnings / hours of work
- starts or stops making relevant payments, for example child care costs or expenses for self-employment
- leaves or joins your household, for example and adult child moves out or birth of a new baby
- has a change in the amount of rent paid
Please note: this list is not exhaustive. You must notify all changes which may affect your benefit entitlement.
I'm in receipt of, or have applied for, Universal Credit
If you've started a claim for, or are already in receipt of, Universal Credit, you need to notify DWP of any changes to your circumstances immediately.
Please note: if you receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction from us as part of your Universal Credit, you also need to notify us. See below for further guidance.
I'm in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction from Luton Council
Your change in circumstances needs to be reported through our online services.
Please note: You will need your Council Tax account number and Housing Benefit / Council Tax Reduction claim reference number as applicable.
Supporting evidence for a change in circumstance
If you're in receipt of benefits you'll be asked to upload documents to support your change of circumstance through a separate link.
Click the link below to see guidance on the types of documents we accept, as well as a link to upload your evidence.
Time limits for notifying changes in circumstance
- Universal Credit - you must inform DWP of any changes immediately
- Council Tax Reduction - you have to tell us within one month from the date the change occurred
- Housing Benefit - you have to tell us within one month from the date the change occurred
There are two options to choose from depending on your personal circumstances.