More winter information
On this page ...
Keeping up to date with council services
Check for updates to these services online:
We regularly post updates on our social media channels during severe weather, including:
Staying well in winter
Do you know someome that is homeless?
Click the button below for information on helping someone who is homeless, including:
- emergency contacts
- finding a shelter or hostel
- Alternative Giving scheme
Financial and emergency help
Aside from emergency services in Luton should you need them, there may be other types of emergency help available when the weather is severe.
Local Welfare Assistance (LWA) could help you in limited cases if you or your family are in severe financial hardship, especially if there is a risk to health or safety.
- referral to the local food bank
- help with fuel payments
- essential household items to help you set up home, or remain in your home
GOV.UK financial support and schemes
- winter fuel payments – you may be eligible for a payment from £100 to £300 tax free to help you pay your heating if you were born before 5 July 1952
- cold weather payments – this may be claimed if you receive certain benefits and the temperature is forecasted to, or does drop to, below freezing for seven or more consecutive days
- warm home discount scheme - you could get £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2017 to 18 under this scheme
Winter weather advice for your home
It’s not just people that can be vulnerable to the effects of cold weather. Your home is too. Cold weather means your pipes are at risk of freezing which can cause them to expand and burst.
Water UK gives you advice, including an informative video on what to do if your pipes freeze this winter.
The risk of flooding is increased during the winter months due to wet weather. For further advice on flooding, including how to find out if you live in a flood zone and how to prepare for and respond to a flooding incident, go to our flooding advice pages.
Coping with adverse weather
Advice on how to cope with a range of conditions and situations caused by the weather can be found in the links below:
- what to do in a flood
- stay safe in a storm
- what to do if you have a frozen or burst pipe
- how to get your home and property winter ready
- clearing your path or driveway
- what to do in a power cut
- keeping your home warm in winter
- UK Power Networks – find out about or report a power cut in your area