On this page...
While we look in more detail at your homeless application, we may provide you with temporary accommodation.
But we don’t own many empty houses or flats, so it’s much more likely that you’ll go to another type of property for a time.
You will have your own room but you may have to share all other amenities.
Repairs and damage in temporary accommodation
If you're currently living in temporary accommodation and have any repair issues please contact your housing officer.
We rent properties from the private sector to accommodate people who are homeless. If there is any damage caused to the property, we’ll recharge you to cover the costs of fixing the damage.
Terms and conditions
A flat or house that we find for you that is rented from a private landlord or housing association. Term and conditions will apply to the duration of your stay.
You won't usually have to share a bathroom or kitchen, but in certain circumstances you may have to share facilities with other households.
- You can expect to be in temporary accommodation for many months.
- You may also have to move to other temporary addresses in this time.
- We cannot offer a choice of where you will live.
- Our staff will tell you the rules when you move in to your temporary home.
There are some common reasons why we have to ask people to leave temporary accommodation. These include:
- failing to pay the rent
- damaging the property
- you or your visitors causing a nuisance to other residents
- leaving the accommodation or moving other people in
- antisocial behaviour including drug use
If we have to ask you to leave we might not have to find you anywhere else and you'll have to find your own home for the future.
Renting to us
We’re keen to work with agents and landlords to rent properties in Luton from the private sector. We offer a dynamic purchase scheme for agents and Luton Lets Squared for private landlords.
Both offer the following benefits:
- three year lease
- direct rent payment from us
- option for us to carry out all repairs and maintenance
- guaranteed rent even if property is empty
- free tenant management service
- deposit to cover damage
- no fees
Tenant enquiry form
Contact us via this form if you can't find the information you're looking for.