Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Housing grants and funds


If you need help improving your home we may be able to help you.

Each of the different housing grants or loans have different terms and conditions, and you may have to contribute some of your own money. The information given on this page does not include all possibilities, so you can find out more about each option by downloading and reading the documents at the foot of the page, or by contacting our private sector housing team on the contact details below.

Most of these forms of assistance are discretionary and will depend on funding availability and eligibility.

Disabled Facilities Grants

If you have a disability you may get help to install a stair lift, fit a hoist or build a ramp, or fit a shower etc, or make other adaptations to help you. The maximum grant is £30,000. For information about Disabled Facilities Grants, read the UK government guidance and read the guide and use the test calculator on the Foundations website.

The grant does not apply to council homes. If you live in one you may still be able to have your home adapted.

All adaptations works will require an initial assessment by an Occupational Therapist. See the Luton Adult Care Portal for more information or call 01582 546759.

Relocation assistance

This loan assistance may be used when it would be cheaper to move from a property where adaptations would be difficult to make, to another one where the necessary adaptations would be easier and less expensive.

Minor Adaptation Grants

These are for less complicated adaptations which can be delivered more quickly. This grant is only available after an assessment of the disabled persons medical need has been completed by an occupational therapist.

Disabled Facilities Grant discretionary assistance

This funding supports the delivery of more complicated adaptations or longer term maintenance of installed adaptations.

Warm Homes Assistance

This is discretionary top-up funding support for households on low incomes who are accessing energy efficiency improvement funding. More information about energy efficiency grants provided by government and energy companies can be found on our Energy advice and grants webpage.

Empty Homes discretionary assistance

For more information, visit the Empty homes webpage

Contact the following for more information:

Occupational Therapy using the Luton Adult Care Portal or call 01582 547659

Adaptations team at [email protected] or 01582 546507

You can now pay your Client Contribution fee and repay your Disabled Facilities Grant online using the button below.

Pay now


Contact info
Private Sector Housing Enforcement
4th Floor Town Hall Extension, Luton, LU1 2BQ

[email protected]


© 2024 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ