Luton Borough Council
This is what you need to know about our responsibilities, regarding you having somewhere to live and being independent.
Your social worker or personal adviser will be able to talk through what housing options are available when you turn 18. This could include the following.
Young people in foster care are encouraged to 'Stay Put' with their carers when they turn 18. This arrangement allows you to remain with your foster carer until the age of 21. Your social worker will have all the details on Staying Put.
If you do chose to move on from your placement then your personal advisor can help access some supported accommodation in Luton or elsewhere in the county. This might be for you if you are not ready to live independently.
Independent housing including social housing – (accommodation managed by councils or a housing association).
Discuss your options with your social worker or personal adviser.
Help and advice
If you're aged over 18, your personal adviser will help you to find suitable accommodation. This might involve:
- working with housing services to come up with suitable housing options for you
- advice about holding down a tenancy, including Council Tax, paying bills and budgeting
- helping you to claim Universal Credit
- practical support with moving into and furnishing your new home
- supporting you if you have a housing crisis, including helping if you are threatened with or lose a tenancy
Luton Council has agreed that care leavers will not have to pay Council Tax.
Depending on the number of adults residing in your property, this could be up to 100%. Your personal adviser can help you apply for this exemption. This only applies:
- until you're 25 and you live in the Luton area
- if you don’t live with someone else who is not a care leaver
If you are living alone or with a dependent under the age of 18 then you are eligible for the single person discount.
If you're in receipt of benefits you may also be eligible for a council tax reduction.
Leaving Care grant
The Leaving Care grant is funding up to £2,000 (based on assessed need) for items you need for setting up home like:
- contents insurance
Your social worker or personal adviser will be able to support you when purchasing the items.
Your first TV license will be paid from your Leaving Care grant.
Support with rent deposit (based on assessed needs).
© 2020 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ