Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council



This is what you need to know about our responsibilities, regarding you having somewhere to live and being independent.

Housing options

Your social worker or personal adviser will be able to talk through what housing options are available when you turn 18. This could include the following.

Staying Put

Young people in foster care are encouraged to 'Stay Put' with their carers when they turn 18. This arrangement allows you to remain with your foster carer until the age of 21. Your social worker will have all the details on Staying Put. More information can be found on our staying put policy.

Supported accommodation

If you do chose to move on from your placement then  your personal advisor can help access some supported accommodation in Luton or elsewhere in the county. This might be for you if you are not ready to live independently.

Independent housing including social housing – (accommodation managed by councils or a housing association).

Discuss your options with your social worker or personal adviser.

Help and advice

If you're aged over 18, your personal adviser will help you to find suitable accommodation. This might involve:

  • working with housing services to come up with suitable housing options for you
  • advice about holding down a tenancy, including Council Tax, paying bills and budgeting
  • helping you to claim Universal Credit
  • practical support with moving into and furnishing your new home
  • supporting you if you have a housing crisis, including helping if you are threatened with or lose a tenancy

Financial support

Council Tax

Luton Council has agreed that care leavers will not have to pay Council Tax.

Depending on the number of adults residing in your property, this could be up to 100%. Your personal adviser can help you apply for this exemption. This only applies:

  • until you're 25 and you live in the Luton area
  • if you don’t live with someone else who is not a care leaver

If you are living alone or with a dependent under the age of 18 then you are eligible for the single person discount.

If you're in receipt of benefits you may also be eligible for a council tax reduction.

Leaving Care grant

The Leaving Care grant is funding up to £2,000 (based on assessed need) for items you need for setting up home like:

  • appliances
  • bedding
  • furniture
  • contents insurance

Your social worker or personal adviser will be able to support you when purchasing the items.

Your first TV license will be paid from your Leaving Care grant.

Rent Deposit

Support with rent deposit (based on assessed needs).


© 2024 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ