Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Paying for your non-residential care and support

‘Non-residential care’ is any type of care and support where you still live in your own home.

There are many types of non-residential care and support services, including receiving care at home (known as ‘home care’), attending a day centre or other leisure and learning activities.

Are there charges for all non-residential care services?

Some of our non-residential services are chargeable, others are non-chargeable.

For more information, read our charging policy for non-residential services.

Chargeable services

If a service is ‘chargeable’ this means you could pay:

  • none of it
  • some of it
  • or all of it

The exact amount will depend on how much money you have and if your circumstances make you exempt from the charge.

Home care

What is home care?
Help in your own home with things such as getting washed, dressed and taking your medication. This also includes support given to people with learning disabilities who live in ‘supported living’ accommodation.

How much of the charge will I have to pay?
With all of our chargeable services, the amount you contribute will depend on how much money you have.

Day care

What is day care?
This may be either at a day centre, or it may involve support for you to take part in other community activities.

How much of the charge will I have to pay?
With all of our chargeable services, the amount you contribute will depend on how much money you have.

Services arranged through direct payments

What are direct payments?

If you choose, we can pay the money for your care directly to you, or to a third party acting on your behalf, so that you choose, arrange and buy your own care.

What is the charge?
With all of our chargeable services, the amount you contribute will depend on how much money you have. Follow this link to read more about how direct payments work.

You are exempt from paying for home care or day care if:

  • you are in the end stages of a terminal illness
  • this is your ‘after-care’ following a compulsory stay in a mental health hospital
  • the services are for your ‘reablement’ - to rehabilitate you following a hospital stay. They may also include occupational therapy and are free for a time limited period - usually up to maximum of six weeks
  • you have less income than the weekly allowance that the government sets for your normal living expenses
  • you have Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease (CJD)
  • your services are funded by NHS Luton under Section 28A of the National Health Service Act 1977

Non-chargeable services

If the service is non-chargeable this means that no matter how much money you have, you won’t have to pay for this service.

Open all

A sitting service helps carers take some time for themselves. If you’re a carer and look after someone who couldn’t manage without your help, a care worker can stay with the person you care for, for up to four hours a week, to give you some time of your own.

Equipment and minor home adaptations could help you maintain your independence. This might include grab rails around your home, ‘perching’ chairs and wheelchair ramps.

Supported employment helps people with learning disabilities get into employment and gain valuable skills.

If you find it hard to explain how you feel, or what you want, an independent advocate can speak on your behalf.


How we calculate your contribution towards chargeable services

We will need to have an in-depth look at your finances through a financial assessment. We calculate your income and take into account any allowances you may receive.

We then take into account your expenses, such as property related expenses (rent, mortgage interest, council tax) and any disability related expenditure. We will also take into account the basic amount of your Pension Credit or Income Support and add 25%, we call this your General Living Allowance.

Your weekly income, less your weekly expenditure, will tell us how much disposable income you have. The amount you contribute towards your non-residential care will be based on this amount.

You will be asked to pay, either the cost of the chargeable care you are receiving, or make a contribution equivalent to the amount of disposable income you have available. We will never ask you to contribute more than the cost of the chargeable services you are receiving.

These are included in your assessment:

  • any savings over £14,250 and below £23,250. We will count £1 for every £250 (or part of £250) you have over £14, 250 and include it in our calculations
  • any benefits you get, including disability benefits such as Attendance Allowance, the care component of Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payment (see exception below)
  • the value of any additional land or property you may own (but not of your main home)

These are not included:

  • your main home
  • your possessions
  • the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
  • your normal living expenses. We work these out by adding 25 per cent to the basic level of Income Support or Pension Credit that you are entitled to, depending on your age. If your actual total income is less than this amount, we won’t ask you to pay towards your services
  • some basic housing expenses such as council tax, rent or mortgage interest payments
  • cost you may incur specifically because of an illness or disability
  • your spouse or partner’s saving or income are not usually counted

Can I get help understanding the charges and what I might have to pay?

Yes. When we complete your financial assessment we’ll help you make sense of the financial calculations. Planning ahead or working out the best option can be daunting, so you might also want to seek independent financial advice. Follow this link to find out more about independent financial advice.

© 2024 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ