Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Home care services


We want you to live as independently as possible in your own home. But sometimes to do this you need some extra support.

Home care is when a care worker comes to visit you in your own home to help you with a wide range of everyday tasks that you can’t manage alone.

Woman feeding older lady

Examples of people who may need home care include:

  • people who are frail through old age
  • people with physical disabilities
  • people with learning disabilities, including those who live in ‘supported living’ accommodation
  • people who have mental ill-health
  • people who have a long-term health condition
  • people who have just come out of hospital and need short-term help to regain their independence

What does a home care worker help with?

Examples of everyday tasks a home care worker can help you with include:
  • dressing and undressing
  • washing, shaving and bathing
  • helping your take your medication
  • preparing light meals and snacks

Home care workers do not usually help with cleaning services or preparing large meals.

How can I get home care?

To get home care funded by the council you must be eligible for help from social care services.

We need to take a close look at your situation so we can work with you to decide if home care is the best option for you. We do this through an assessment of care needs.

Can I choose my own home care provider?

If you're eligible for help and have been assessed as needing home care, you have several options.

You can either:

  • ask us to put your home care into place for you
    If you choose this option we will match you to one of the care agencies we have a contract with. There is a current list of these care agencies in the next section below
  • ask us to receive the money we'll pay towards your home care directly to you
    This will enable you to buy the home care services you want, It's called a ‘direct payment’ and gives you the the flexibility to choose and arrange your own care.

Please note that time of home care visits will be in accordance with assessed needs.

Which home care provider can I use?

This will depend on which option you choose. If you've chosen for us to arrange your care we'll allocate one of the following care agencies:


We monitor the quality of care delivered by these six providers on an ongoing basis as part of our contractual arrangements. This monitoring is in addition to the regulatory inspections conducted by Care Quality Commission (CQC) which all registered providers are subject to.

If you receive direct payments, or if you're purchasing your own care for any other reason, you have a choice about which care agency you use. You can still choose one of the home care agencies listed above or you could choose another agency. If you decide to use another care agency it is important to know that they will not be monitored by us.

Where can I find out about the best home care providers?

We don’t recommend individual providers, but you can see all the latest inspection reports on the CQC website.

Contact the CQC

Tel: 03000 616161
Email: [email protected]

Other services

If you need help which is not covered by home care services:

  • Age Concern Luton is a charity offering help in the home to older people - contact them on 01582 456 812 for services such as:
    • domestic duties such as washing, cleaning and ironing
    • home maintenance
  • Penrose is a charity offering help to all vulnerable adults - contact them on 01582 343230 for housing advice and information, such as tenancy advice


Home care providers in Luton

You can find a list of home care providers in our online directory of services for vulnerable adults.

Luton Directory

Abigail Court

Colwell Court


Contact info
Customer Services Centre
Luton Borough Council, Town Hall, George Street, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 547659 or 547660


© 2024 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ