Local Plan 2011 - 2031
What is a Local Plan? GOV.UK says:
On 7 November 2017, Luton Borough Council met and resolved to adopt the Luton Local Plan (2011-2031) with Main Modifications in accordance with:
- the provisions of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 (as amended)
- Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012 (as amended) Regulations 17, 26 & 35
- The Environmental Assessment of Plans and Programmes Regulations 2004 regulation 16
The adopted Luton Local Pan (2011-31) is a strategic document setting out the vision, objectives and spatial planning strategy for the whole of Luton Borough Council’s area for the period up to 2031.
It comprises the following document and accompanying plans as set out below:
This Local Plan 2011 – 2031 replaces the Luton Local Plan (2001-11) and saved policies adopted in 2006.
The adopted Luton Local Plan (2011–31) is accompanied by the following documentation:
- Luton Borough Council adoption statement
- Inspectors report into the examination of the Luton Local Plan dated 1 August 2017
- Inspector’s report August 2017 – Schedule of Proposed Main Modifications to Luton Local Plan
- Sustainability Appraisal report
- Sustainability Appraisal Main Modifications report
- Technical note - Sustainability Appraisal Addendum post Main Modifications
- post-adoption statement
The button below links to a page which provides links to the evidence base behind the Luton Local Plan 2011-2031 and its subsequent review.
The documents which form the evidence for the Luton Local Plan are grouped by topic following the structure of the plan. If you click on the appropriate reference the document or relevant website will open up.
We have commenced preparation of the Gypsy and Traveller Local Plan Part 2. This will cover the plan period of 2011 to 2031 and will need to reflect the most up to date evidence on housing need for gypsies and travellers.
The Regulation 18 notification in June 2017 was part of the plan preparation process where we notify ‘specified bodies and persons’ of the subject of the plan and invite representations about what it ought to contain.
The opportunity to submit representations ran for six weeks from Friday 23 June and closed 5pm Friday 4 August 2017.
This consultation also included a ‘Call for Sites’ inviting expressions of interest on whether:
- anyone is aware of any available land that should be considered
- there are any landowners or promoters who wish to put sites forward for consideration in the plan
and / or
A separate six-week consultation with statutory consultees on the scoping for the Sustainability Appraisal (incorporating Strategic Environmental Assessment) was also undertaken.
A Gypsy & Traveller Accommodation Needs Assessment (GTAA) is also in preparation and nearing completion pending further validation of some of the evidence.
The Local Development Scheme (LDS) sets out the programme of plans to be made, and this was revised and adopted by Full Council on 24 January 2017 to reflect the new plan making timetable.
The revised LDS includes provision for a gypsy and traveller part 2 Local Plan to be prepared.
The LDS excludes timings or provision for implementation of a Community Infrastructure Levy because it was not considered viable in Luton. This position will be kept under review.
The statement of community involvement (SCI) sets out how people and groups will be consulted and engaged in plan making.
Town Hall, George Street, Luton, LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 547089