Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Do I need planning permission?

Most new buildings, certain alterations and changes in the uses of buildings and land need planning permission.

However, some types of minor building work, such as a boundary wall below a certain height and small extensions do not need planning permission – this is known as permitted development.

Check if you need planning permission
For residential properties, you will need to check with us that there are no restrictions on your property.
For further advice on whether you require planning permission, complete and send either of the attachments at the foot of the page and we will respond to you in writing. Technical guidance has been attached for your information.

Key features of the new regulations

They allow for:
  • 3m to 6m rear extension on an attached house
  • 4m to 8m rear extension on a detached house
  • single storey not exceeding 4m in height
  • all construction must be finished by 30 May 2019
There is no fee for these notifications, although developers must notify the local planning authority of their intentions through a prior approval process.
If you do need planning permission you can apply below.

Submit a planning application

You may need to be aware that some developments are affected by specific local requirements that are explained in our supplementary planning documents section.

Hard copy application forms can be requested by writing to [email protected] or at the address below. Please note that it may take up to 10 working days to fulfil your request.

New to planning or worried about potential costs?

Planning Aid England provides, free, independent and professional planning advice to communities and individuals who cannot afford to pay professional fees.

Contact info
Development control
Luton Council, Town Hall, George Street, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 2BQ

[email protected]


© 2023 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ