My Council Tax bill is wrong
You can do this by using the Council Tax query online form. We will either:
- decide that the bill is wrong and send you a new one
- decide that the bill is right and explain why
Make sure you keep paying the bill unless you have made other arrangements with us.
What to do if you disagree with our decision
Contact us to try to resolve the matter. If it is still unresolved you may appeal to a valuation tribunal, an independent body. If you still think our decision is wrong or if you don't hear anything from us within two months of originally raising the dispute, you can appeal direct to the valuation tribunal.
When to appeal to the valuation tribunal
You can appeal against our decision if you think:
- we are sending bills to the wrong person for your home
- your home should be exempt from Council Tax
- the amount of the bill is wrong, for example if you think you're entitled to a discount
- we haven't reduced the bill for a disability
There are time limits for appealing to the tribunal. These are:
- two months after we have responded to your dispute
- four months from when you first raised your dispute, if you have heard nothing from us
The tribunal will ask you to make your appeal in writing, stating which decision you are appealing against, why you disagree with it, or, as the case may be, that the council did not reach a decision. If you and the other parties agree, your case may be dealt with by an exchange of written representations.
Otherwise, the tribunal will get in touch with you to make arrangements for a hearing and will send you a leaflet explaining its procedures in detail. Hearings usually last no more than a day. A tribunal hearing will not cost you anything unless you choose to employ a solicitor or other person to present your case. If the tribunal decides in your favour, we will revise your bill and adjust your payments, if necessary.
Send your appeal to:
Valuation Tribunal Service - Hepworth House
2 Trafford Court
Fax: 01302 321447
You must continue to pay the full bill until your appeal is decided.
I think my band is wrong
If you think your property has been put in the wrong Council Tax valuation band contact the Valuation Office Agency.
Contact us via this form if you can't find the information you're looking for.