Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Food premises registration

Registration of premises used for a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles other mobile structures) is required by law (Article 6(2) Regulation 852/2004).

Registration will allow local authorities to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in their area so they can visit them when they need to, the frequency of the visits will depend on the type of business.

Register a food business

Who needs to register?

If you run a food business(as defined in Regulation 178/2002) you must tell (or arrange for someone else to tell) the local authority about any premises you use for the storage, sale, distribution, brokering, production or preparation of food.

Food premises included are restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans, etc., whether or not they are operated for profit .

Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before doing so.

The majority of premises will have to be registered - however, certain premises are exempt from registration eg some which are already registered for food law purposes, certain agricultural premises, motor cars, tents and marquees (but not stalls), some domestic premises and some village halls.

You should contact your local authority if you think you might be exempt.

How do I register?

You can register your business on line using the link on this page, registration can't be refused and there is no charge.

If you use premises in more than one local authority area you must register with each local authority separately.

What happens once I have registered?

The local authority will enter the details on a register, a register of the address and type of business will be open to inspection by the general public.


Once you have registered with the local authority you must notify any changes to the food business operator or if the nature of the business changes, or if there is a change of address at which moveable premises are kept.

The new food business operator will have to submit a new registration on line using the link on this page.

Register a food business
© 2023 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ