Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Scaffolding and hoarding licence


On this page ...

Any building or maintenance works carried out on the highway must be safe for all users and an application for a permit must be made.

You need a licence to put up scaffolding or hoarding on a public road, verge or pavement. If the scaffolding or hoarding is on your private property and does not encroach onto the public highway then a licence is not required and you do not need to notify us.

How do I apply?

For scaffolding the licence is issued to the scaffolding company and for hoarding to the contractor stated on the form. Please email a completed application form with required supported documentation to [email protected]. Download the application form below.  It usually takes 10 working days to process an application. Approval will be granted in the form of a licence issued in accordance with the Highways Act 1980.

Back to top

What does it cost?

A fee of £200 (VAT exempt) is required for each licence per 28 days or part thereof, together with a deposit of £550 (refundable upon written application upon completion and satisfactory inspection) and must accompany the application.

Back to top

What information/documents do I need to provide?

  • completed application form
  • a site plan of the position of the scaffolding or hoarding
  • public liability insurance certificate minimum cover of £10 million
  • accreditation of scaffolder (scaffolding licence only)

If placing a tower scaffold on the public highway please complete the Tower Scaffold Licence Application form below. A bond is not required for this licence as the structure is removed daily.

Back to top


Contact info
Street works
Luton Council, Central Depot, Kingsway, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU4 8EJ
Tel: 01582 510333

[email protected]


© 2024 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ