Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Exotic, dangerous or wild animals licence

If you wish to keep a dangerous or exotic wild animal the law says you must have a licence.

Request an animal licence

No one may keep any dangerous wild animal without first obtaining a licence from their local authority.
The scientific and common names of the animals specified as requiring a licence are listed in the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 (modification) Order 1984, which can be viewed via the link.

Licences to keep dangerous or exotic wild animals
Applications for a licence must be made to the local authority, and it may be issued providing the applicant is not disqualified or has been convicted under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976. An application fee must be paid at the time an application is made.
The applicant will also be required to pay the cost of the required inspections carried out by the council's authorised veterinary surgeon or veterinary practitioner.
Except in exceptional circumstances, the person making the application must be the person who owns and possesses or proposes to own and possess the animal to which the application applies.
Where a licence is granted that licence and any subsequent licence will expire on the 31st December of the year to which the licence relates and must be renewed before that date if the licence holder is to continue to keep the animal(s) named on the licence.

Further Information
Copies of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 and other legislation mentioned in this information sheet can be viewed at the council offices and should you wish to apply for such a licence, we would be happy to discuss the matter with you first.


Contact info
Licensing Service
Luton Borough Council Town Hall George Street Luton LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 546040

[email protected]


© 2023 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ