Backdating council tax reduction claims - Luton Council

We usually award Council Tax Reduction (CTR) from the Monday after the day we receive your claim. Sometimes we can pay CTR for a limited period before you make your claim.

Time Limits

If you are of working age, to be considered for backdating, you must:

  • make a request for backdated CTR
  • have good reason for not making a claim at an earlier date
  • the good reasons must have lasted throughout the whole period that you want us to backdate your claim for CTR

Council Tax Reduction can be backdated for a maximum of one month if you are of working age.

If you are of pension age you do not need to make a request for backdating. We can treat your claim as if you had sent it to us up to 3 months earlier than the date that you make your claim. For CTR to be considered for this period:

  • you or your partner must have been of pensionable age
  • have Council Tax liability
  • must provide proof of your income and capital during this period

How to Apply

If you are of working age and you want us to consider backdating your CTR, please request this when you make your claim for Council Tax Reduction online. Alternatively, you can make a request in writing or by email using the details below.

You must provide all of the following:

  • your name, address and Council Tax Account Number and/or CTR Reference Number
  • the dates you want us to backdate your claim from and to
  • the reason(s) why you did not make a claim sooner - this must be supported with evidence where applicable e.g. Hospital Admission/Discharge letters etc
  • evidence of all of your income and capital for the whole period you are asking us to backdate e.g.
    wageslips, bank statements etc

We will write to you as soon as we have made a decision.

Contact info
Housing benefit and Council Tax reduction
Luton Central Library, St Georges Square,, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 2NG
Tel: 0300 790 0345
Fax: 01582 546977
rating button