Luton Borough Council
Adult social care (ASC)
We're committed to protecting your privacy when you use our services. We have a data protection officer who makes sure we respect your rights and follow the law.
If you have any concerns or questions about how we look after your personal information, please contact us at [email protected].
Name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth, gender, household make up including contact information for next of kin and others providing significant support, financial information including bank account details and benefit entitlement.
Special category data
NHS number, health information including mental health, mental capacity assessment, disability status and medical conditions, history of substance misuse and addiction, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation.
Purpose for using it
ASC uses your personal data to:
- provide information and advice about services provided by ASC
- carry out assessments to determine eligibility for support
- provide services following assessments including but not limited to respite care, occupational therapy, adaptations and equipment, residential care, supported living
- determine appropriate contribution towards service provision
- assist in the prevention and detection of crime
- help vulnerable adults to manage their money
- provide tailored services to individuals without mental capacity
- safeguard adults who are experiencing or at risk of abuse or neglect and who are unable to take action to protect themselves
- enable the council to fulfil it’s duties and powers under the Care Act 2014, Mental Capacity Act 2005, Mental Health Acts 1983 and 2007, The Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities)
- enable planning of future service provision and to check our performance and the quality of services we arrange
- statutory requirements such as reporting to government
ASC uses you personal data under the following categories:
- personal data: processing is necessary for the compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject or processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller
- special category: processing is necessary for the management of health or social care systems
Who we share it with
ASC may share your personal data with the following organisations:
- domiciliary care agencies
- residential and nursing care homes and supported living providers
- voluntary sector organisations
- The Care Quality Commission
- Health and Care Professions Council
- primary health sector such as GPs
- clinical commissioning groups (CCGs)
- hospital trusts such as Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust (including the Luton & Dunstable University Hospital)
- ambulance services
- health service providers
- disability equipment suppliers
- Luton Safeguarding Adults Board (LSAB) and partners
- East London Foundation Trust (ELFT)
- other local authorities with ASC responsibilities
- central government departments such as Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
- the courts
- housing and housing support providers
Why we share it with them
To enable the council to provide a holistic approach to solving your health and social care support needs enabling individual service users to access services from across health, private and voluntary sectors.
To refer adults who are experiencing or at risk of abuse or neglect and who are unable to take action to protect themselves, to safeguarding services or other external services.
In certain circumstances we may be required by a court to disclose information about an adult. Disclosure may also be required under public health grounds or in relation to a criminal investigation.
Any automated decision making or profiling
When undertaking an assessment of an adult’s care and support needs we will automatically generate an indicative budget which is used for planning care arrangements.
Transfer of data to another country
We will not disclose data to another country outside the UK except where an adult is returning to their country of origin or other non-UK location.
The data will be kept in accordance with our retention schedule.
Exercising your rights
You have the right to ask us to amend or delete your data as well transfer or limit its use. You also have the right to request a review of an automated decision where you think this is wrong.
Each request will be considered individually. Where we are required to keep your data by law we may be unable to action your request. In all circumstances we will explain our decision making in writing to you.
Please see our main privacy statement using the green button below If you want more information on how:
- we keep your data safe
- to request a change to the records we hold
- to make a complaint
Date of notice
This notice was last updated on 24 March 2023.
© 2023 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ