Luton Borough Council
We're committed to protecting your privacy when you use our services. We have a data protection officer who makes sure we respect your rights and follow the law.
If you have any concerns or questions about how we look after your personal information, please contact us at [email protected].
Name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth, gender, household make up including contact information for next of kin and others providing significant support, financial information including bank account details and benefit entitlement
Special category data
Health information including mental health, disability status and medical conditions, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation, exam results and data, learner progress information
Purpose for using it
Adult learning uses your personal data to:
- provide information and advice about services provided by Adult Learning
- carry out assessments to determine eligibility for funding
- determine appropriate contribution towards service provision
- safeguard children and adults who are experiencing or at risk of abuse or neglect and who are unable to take action to protect themselves
- register learners with the Department for Education (DfE), Education and Skills Funding Agency, employers, examining bodies and for end point assessment, to inform the Individualised Learner Record
Adult learning uses your personal data under the following categories:
- personal data: processing is necessary for the compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject or processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller
- special category data: necessary in the field of social protection
Lawful basis statutory
To carry out the performance of a:
- legal obligation
- public task
Your personal information is used by the DfE to exercise its functions and to meet its statutory responsibilities, including under the Apprenticeships, Skills, Children and Learning Act 2009.
Who we share it with
Adult learning may share your personal data with the following organisations:
- Department for Education
- Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities
- Education and Skills Funding Agency
- Examination boards such as City & Guilds (C&G), Gateway, Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA), Pearson, Ascentis
- Smart Assessor/Smart VLE
- NCFE / VLE
- Pellcomp software (PICs)
- other council departments
- MASH team (as necessary)
- employers (as needed)
- Job Centre (as needed)
- sub-contractors (as needed)
- other learning providers (as needed)
Why we share it with them
To enable the council to carry out its statutory duties.
To enable Luton Adult Learning to fund the learning that the learner has enrolled on.
In certain circumstances we may be required by a court to disclose information about an adult. Disclosure may also be required under public health grounds or in relation to a criminal investigation.
Any automated decision making or profiling
Transfer of data to another country
Some information may be held on cloud based services which are held in other countries. Where this happens we will use cloud based services which sign up to the 'Privacy Shield'.
The data will be kept in accordance with our retention schedule.
Exercising your rights
You have the right to ask us to amend or delete your data as well transfer or limit its use. You also have the right to request a review of an automated decision where you think this is wrong.
Each request will be considered individually. Where we are required to keep your data by law we may be unable to action your request. In all circumstances we will explain our decision making in writing to you.
How to make a complaint
In the first instance, please contact Luton Council. If this does not resolve the matter, please contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO):
- ICO make a complaint
- 0303 123 1113
Please see our main privacy statement using the green button below If you want more information on how:
- we keep your data safe
- to request a change to the records we hold
- to make a complaint
© 2024 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ