Luton Borough Council
We're committed to protecting your privacy when you use our services. We have a data protection officer who makes sure we respect your rights and follow the law.
If you have any concerns or questions about how we look after your personal information, please contact us at [email protected].
Name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth, gender, household make up including contact information for next of kin and others providing significant support, financial information including bank account details and benefit entitlement, exam results and data, learner progress information
Special category data
Health information including mental health, disability status and medical conditions, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation
Purpose for using it
Adult learning uses your personal data to:
- provide information and advice about their services
- carry out assessments to determine eligibility for funding
- determine appropriate contribution towards service provision
- safeguard children and adults who are experiencing or at risk of abuse or neglect and who are unable to take action to protect themselves
- register learners with the Department for Education, Education and Skills Funding Agency, employers, examining bodies and for end point assessment, to inform the Individualised Learner Record
Adult learning uses your personal data under the following categories:
- personal data: processing is necessary for the compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject or processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller
- special category data: necessary in the field of social protection
Who we share it with
Adult learning may share your personal data with the following organisations:
- Department for Education
- Education and Skills Funding Agency
- Examination boards such as City & Guilds (C&G), Gateway, Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA)
- Smart Assessor
- Pellcomp software (PICs)
- other council departments
- MASH team
- Job Centre
- other learning providers
- Basic and Key Skills Builder (BKSB)
Why we share it with them
To enable the council to carry out its statutory duties.
In certain circumstances we may be required by a court to disclose information about an adult. Disclosure may also be required under public health grounds or in relation to a criminal investigation.
Any automated decision making or profiling
Transfer of data to another country
Some information may be held on cloud based services which are held in other countries. Where this happens we will use cloud based services which sign up to the 'Privacy Shield'.
The data will be kept in accordance with our retention schedule.
Exercising your rights
You have the right to ask us to amend or delete your data as well transfer or limit its use. You also have the right to request a review of an automated decision where you think this is wrong.
Each request will be considered individually. Where we are required to keep your data by law we may be unable to action your request. In all circumstances we will explain our decision making in writing to you.
Please see our main privacy statement using the green button below If you want more information on how:
- we keep your data safe
- to request a change to the records we hold
- to make a complaint
© 2023 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ