Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Industrial air pollution control

Certain industrial activities must obtain a permit before they can operate.

Why are permits necessary?

Permits contain conditions which an operator must comply with. These help to reduce air pollution to acceptable levels.

Which industrial activities require a permit?

The Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010 sets out the activities which require a permit. If a business carries out an activity which is included in this list they must apply for a permit. If a business operates without a permit they are breaking the law and can be prosecuted.

Who issues permits?

The Environment Agency and local authorities issue permits:

  • part A1 activities are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • part A2 and B activities are regulated by local authorities

Which businesses have permits in Luton?

Part B activities which we currently regulate:

  • vehicle resprayers
  • cement manufacturers
  • crematoria
  • roadstone coating
  • mobile concrete crushers
  • petrol stations
  • waste oil burners
  • dry cleaners

A list of Part B permits is available in the download section below..

There are currently no Part A1 permits and one Part A2, IBC Vehicles in Kimpton Road.

How do I apply for a permit?

Application forms for specific industries and for transferring, surrendering and varying a permit are available in the downloads section below. If the application form you need is not listed, please contact us. A list of application fees is also available below.

For some activities, applications may need to be advertised in a local paper to give the public the opportunity to comment. We may also need to contact the Environment Agency and English Nature.

We haveĀ four months to decide whether to issue a permit or refuse an application.

Can I appeal against a decision made by the council?

You can appeal to the Planning Inspectorate.

Does the council carry out checks?

Our officers visit businesses to check that permit conditions are being met. A risk assessment scoring system is used to decide how often visits are made. Businesses with a higher score are visited more frequently than those with a lower score.

Our enforcement policy leaflet, available to download below, explains how our officers will carry out their duties.

Once a permit is issued, will I have to pay any charges?

Each year an annual subsistence charge must be paid. The charge is based on a risk assessment score.

The score is calculated when one of our officers visits the business to check that permit conditions are being met. Businesses with a higher risk score pay more than those with a lower risk score.

See the downloads section for a list of charges.

I have a permit and want to change what I do?

If the change may have an effect on your emissions, please contact us.

I have a permit and want to close my business?

If you want to close your business, you must complete a surrender application form, available to download below. If you do not surrender your permit, you may be liable for the annual subsistence charge for the next financial year.

I have a permit and want to sell my business to someone else?

If you want to transfer your business and permit to someone else, you must complete a transfer application form, available to download below.

Where can I view permit information kept on the public register?

If you would like to view the public register, please contact the Environmental Protection team. To view information about part A1 activities, please see the Environment Agency website.

Where can I get help?

Guidance is available on the DEFRA website.

Please contact us if you have any questions or need advice.


Contact info
Environmental health
Luton Borough Council, Town Hall, George Street, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 510330


© 2023 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ