Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Dropped kerbs/crossover

Our contractor, Volker Highways provide a quotation and construction service for the purpose of dropping kerbs outside properties to make driveways.

Applications for dropped kerbs must be submitted online.

An Volker Highways officer will visit the property to take measurements. If your application is approved, they will post to you a written quotation detailing the total cost and details of payment methods. 
Click to apply for a​ dropped kerb
How do I arrange for the construction service?
Our appointed contractor will carry out the construction of the crossover. No works shall be carried out within the confines of the highway by the applicant or any agent acting for the applicant.

What work is  involved for the cost?
The kerbs will be replaced with three low kerb units and a tapered kerb at each side, unless agreed otherwise with the householder. All new applications will be constructed in tarmac for the full width of the footpath. An extension may be constructed to match the existing crossover, or in tarmac.

Are there any restrictions for a dropped kerb construction?
Yes, there are restrictions on a classified highway (A or B roads). Planning permission is usually required for which there is a further charge. For further information contact Planning on 01582 546317. Also see our terms and conditions below.

What can I do if planning permission is refused?
More information regarding refusals can be found using the link below:
What can I do if my planning application is refused

Do the council construct driveways within a property?
No, contractors can be located in the local newspaper or the yellow pages.​

What if I live in a council property?

If you live in a council property or have purchased it from the council, you will need our permission before you can park on your front garden.

If you are an existing council tenant, you will need to pay half the construction cost of dropped kerb.  However, you will need to arrange for the hard standing to be constructed which will be entirely at your own cost.
If you have bought your property, you will be charged for the 'permission letter' and need to finance all of the work yourself.
In either case, you should not be parking on the front garden until the work has been completed.
We have also provided parking bays around many of the low rise and high rise flats for the use of housing residents and their visitors. However, please be aware that the council will remove any vehicle from these bays if it is untaxed or appears to be abandoned.
If you require long term parking for your vehicle, we do rent garages. Please contact the Business Support team on 01582 546165  to check for availability and waiting times for your area.

Click to apply for a​ dropped kerb


Contact info
Volker Highways Crossovers
Central Depot, Kingsway, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU4 8AU
Tel: 01582 693462

[email protected]


© 2020 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ