Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Must see landmarks steeped with history


Ancient-looking scroll

1086 Domesday survey shows Luton as the largest royal manor in Bedfordshire
14th century The Church of St Mary is the largest church in Bedfordshire and one of the biggest parish churches in England
1826 Luton's first hat factory opens
1876 Luton officially becomes a borough
1904 Wardown Park purchased for the town by the Mayor, Cllr Hucklesby
1919 Peace day riots end in destruction of the old Town Hall
1922 Town centre war memorial is unveiled by Lady Ludlow
1936 Official opening of the new Town Hall by HRH the Duke of Kent
1938 Luton Airport opens
1947 The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh honeymoon at Luton Hoo
1959 Luton Town FC reach the FA Cup final at Wembley
1962 HM Queen Elizabeth II and HRH Duke of Edinburgh open Luton's new central library
1964 Luton officially becomes a county borough
1972 Luton's Arndale Shopping Centre opens, providing the town (at that time) with the largest undercover shopping centre in Europe
1973 HM the Queen approves the grant of a charter conferring Borough status on Luton
1975 First Luton carnival, now the biggest one day carnival in the UK
1988 Luton Town FC wins the Littlewoods Cup final against Arsenal at Wembley
1996 The town's floral displays win first prize in Anglia in Bloom
1997 Luton becomes a unitary authority
1999 HM the Queen opens Luton Airport Parkway rail station
2005 In its centenary year, lottery funding restores Wardown Park to its Edwardian splendour
2006 13th century Wenlock Jug, with strong ties to the town, purchased on behalf of and now displayed in Stockwood Discovery Centre
2008 Luton launches the national Cultural Olympiad in the recently redeveloped, award winning St George's Square
2012 Olympic Torch came to Luton

Luton Town FC were promoted from the conference to the football league division 2

© 2024 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ