Stockwood Park is located in South Ward at the southern end of Luton. It became a park in the ownership of Luton Council in 1945. Before that, from 1708, it was the estate of the Crawley family with Stockwood House at its heart.
The Crawley family vacated the house and estate in 1939 and the house was demolished in 1964.
The park covers an area of approximately 100 hectares and in addition to its regional significance in relation to the new Stockwood Discovery Centre provides the local district park facility for residents in the Farley and South Wards of Luton. It is located at the southern extreme of Luton and bounded by two roads (London Road and Farley Hill) which are both routes to/from the town centre. The M1 motorway runs within site of the western boundary. The park has a number of features and facilities which result in it being one of the most heavily visited of all Luton’s Parks; they include:
Landscape and various features of historic value include:
There was once an ice house in the park, but there are now no visible remains of this.
These features all reflect the historic nature of the park and work is underway to interpret these so that visitors are made aware of their importance and the historic value of the park.