Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Selective licensing


The Luton Borough Council Designation of an Area for Selective Licensing 2021, will introduce a Selective Licensing Scheme from 1 April 2022 requiring all privately rented accommodation within South ward to have a property licence.

Please note that the council will only process applications which are valid - this means that each application for each property must be fully completed. You should note that incomplete applications will be rejected and an administration fee of £122 retained.

Within the form you will need to provide details including the number of letting rooms, storeys, occupants including any children/families etc, statements and declarations that the licence holder(s), person(s) in control and or managing the property are ‘fit and proper persons’ and a statement and declaration that any furniture and furnishings within the property comply with The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire)(Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended), you will also need to provide details within the application form, of the management arrangements, for example how you or your manager deal with complaints from tenants, items of disrepair and emergencies.

Required documents/certificates for all properties

  • If there is gas at the property a current Landlords Gas Safety Certificate - the certificate must be carried out by a competent Engineer (within the last 12 months) and must cover any gas appliances within the property.
  • Current (within the last five years) Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) - the report must be carried out by a competent engineer registered with one of the following professional bodies:
    • NICEIC
    • ECA
    • ELESCA
    • NAPIT
  • Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
  • Copy of the existing Tenancy Agreement/Rental Contract(s), or if the premises are currently unoccupied, a copy of the agreements you propose to issue to your tenants.
  • Residency check – you will be required to demonstrate that you are entitled to reside and remain in the United Kingdom, such as a valid UK Passport, or a permanent residence card issued by the Home Office.

For HMOs, you will require the following documents in addition to those detailed above

  • A copy of floor plans showing the layout of the property, we recommend that each floor is drawn on 1 side of A4 sheet of paper and must show the following:
    • number, type and location of any smoke/heat detectors, emergency lighting and any fire alarm control panels including any ‘remote hush, test and locate switches, and show where each fire door is located, the plans must also show the location of each window and staircase
    • show the location of kitchens, bathrooms, WCs, sinks, wash hand basins and any other common areas such as lounges and dining rooms etc
    • the plans must also show any cupboards located under any staircases and on any halls or landings and show any chimney breasts in any rooms including the number and location of any electrical sockets
    • show the measurements of each bedroom, flat, bedsit and any common rooms such as kitchens, kitchen/diners, lounge and dining rooms etc, the plans do not have to be to scale but the measurements and layout of the property and each room must be accurate, you can show the measurements in square metres for each room or you can show the room dimensions this will enable us to assess how many people can occupy the property. For more information on space standards in HMOs please refer to the council’s HMO standards

Please note: the council can do floor plans for you but there is a charge for this service (please see property licence fees for more details). An example floor plan is downloadable from the councils HMO - advice for landlords.

  • A fire alarm test certificate complying with BS5839 (tested within the last 12 months)
  • If an emergency lighting system is present, a test certificate complying with BS5266 (tested within the last 12 months)
  • Fire Safety Checklist,
    Please note: this document doesn’t constitute a Fire Risk Assessment, in licensed HMOs, under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, a suitable and sufficient written Fire Risk Assessment must be carried out by a competent person, this could be by, or on behalf of, the licensee/prospective licensee, and is required in order to establish and reduce both the risk of fire occurring and the risk to people in the event of fire. Visit the Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service website for more information.

Your documents will need to be uploaded during the electronic application process so please ensure that you have stored each document separately and in accordance with this guidance. See electronic document guidance for more information.

To apply for a Selective Licence

To apply for a Selective Licence, use the button below.
Apply for a Selective Licence

If you are unsure, you can find which ward a property is in. Please also see the latest information on residential property licensing fees and the scheme condition documents below.


Contact info
Selective licensing
Private Sector Housing Enforcement 1st Floor Annexe Town Hall , Luton, LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 547222

[email protected]


© 2022 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ