Rogue Landlord Project
The Rogue Landlord Project is an initiative by Luton Borough Council, in partnership with the Bedfordshire Fire & Rescue service, Bedfordshire Police, the Luton Law Centre and the Luton Citizens Advice Bureau.
The project aims to tackle rogue landlords where it is clear that their properties are being poorly managed and in particular is focused on
- Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) - follow this link for more information.
- ‘beds in sheds’ - sub-standard premises being used as living accommodation without the relevant permissions
- empty homes - we want to bring these properties back into use to provide people with accommodation - follow this link to find out more about empty homes
The Rogue Landlord Project is an important part of our enforcement policy and will help ensure that properties in Luton are safe and maintained to a good standard.
If you suspect a property is a HMO, “'bed in a shed' or an empty home, you can contact us on:
- HMOs: phone 01582 547222 or email [email protected]
- beds in sheds: phone 01582 548890 and leave a message or email [email protected]
- empty homes: phone 01582 546370 or email [email protected]
Cllr Tom Shaw, portfolio holder for Housing says; “The Rogue Landlord Project is an integral part of ensuring that private housing in Luton is of a good standard. If an HMO is poorly managed, tenant’s safety could be at risk.
"We’re committed to ensuring that rogue landlords are identified and are made to improve the property or face prosecution. I would encourage tenants or neighbours who suspect a landlord is not adhering to the rules to get in touch with us.”
John Foolkes, head of community safety and Area Commander for Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, says: “The fire and rescue service’s job is not only to put fires out but to prevent them and their tragic consequences. Working with Luton Borough Council in the Rogue Landlord Scheme will ensure people who rent a property in Luton are properly protected.”
4th Floor Town Hall Extension, Luton, LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 547222