An empty property is one which has been vacant for over six months. Find out why we are keen to minimise the number of empty properties in Luton.
Why are there empty homes in Luton?
- a lack of money for repair work
- waiting for planning permission
- inheritance issues
- family disputes / divorce settlements
- repossession and complex legal or insurance problems
- owners do not know how to get homes back into use
- housing market conditions – waiting for the right time to sell
- buy to let proves harder work than many people expected
Why do we care about empty properties?
Properties that are left empty for long periods can be a concern for a number of reasons:
- they can attract crime, arson, vandalism, squatting and anti-social behaviour
- they can be a financial burden on their owners (it is estimated that it costs roughly £5,000 a year to keep a home empty).
- they are a wasted resource in an area of high housing need
- they can cause anxiety for local residents and reduce the quality of life in a neighbourhood
- the Government has highlighted empty homes as an issue of national concern.
Returning empty homes to use eliminates these concerns and can provide a number of benefits:
- it can give owners a financial return
- it improves the quality of a neighbourhood
- it brings much needed housing back into the supply pool
What can the council do to help me with my empty home?
We understand that bringing an empty home back into use can be a stressful, time consuming and expensive process. Our Empty Homes Officer is available to assist with advice and support to help your turn your empty property into a home. We can provide a range of advice and assistance, including:
- identifying suitable uses for your property
- advice on the local housing market and demand for properties
- advice on basic legal issues relating to your property
- advice on selling your property to a developer or other buyer
- advice on letting your property through local agents
- advice on renovating empty properties including reductions in VAT levels (please see separate document)
How can I report an empty home?If you would like to know more about the assistance available or if you would like to report an empty home please contact us using the details below.
What if I decide to leave my property empty?We are happy to offer owners of empty properties all available advice and assistance to bring their properties back into use. However, we recognise that a small minority of owners will not be willing to work with us. In these situations we will responsibly employ our enforcement powers to protect the interests of local residents.
- serving improvement notices requiring owners to bring properties up to current housing safety standards
- applying for Empty Dwelling Management Owners which enable us to take over management of empty properties for up to 7 years (Housing Act 2004)
- applying for an enforced sale or compulsory purchase order (Law of Property Act 1925)
- or compulsory purchase order (Housing Act 1985)
- demolition order (only in extreme cases)
Private Sector Housing Enforcement 1st Floor Annexe Town Hall, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 546370