Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Insuring your possessions


By arrangement with Aviva, we are able to offer a scheme that provides insurance cover for our tenants at a competitive rate, which you pay for with your rent. If you are on housing benefit, this charge will have to be paid separately.

There are different levels of cover depending on the value of the goods you wish to insure.


Contact our Business Support team on 01582 546165 and ask for our booklet on home contents insurance. The booklet contains full details of the cover and a ‘proposal form’ which you can use to apply for insurance.


If you wish to cancel your policy, you can do this at any time provided that you let us know in writing.
If you fall into arrears with your rent, we will write to you advising that unless you clear your arrears, we will stop your insurance cover. If you ignore the warning, then we will cancel the policy.

What will I be insured against?

Cover is for a range of losses including:
  • accidental damage to some electrical appliances and breakable household equipment
  • contents in outbuildings
  • replacement keys and locks
  • spoilage of food following freezer breakdown
  • temporary accommodation costs
  • theft
  • high risk items
  • many other problems - see our booklet on home contents insurance

Before applying for cover, please ensure that you know what cover you are paying for. One of our officers will be happy to answer any queries you might have.

Contact info
Business support team
Town Hall, George Street, Luton, LU1 2BQ

Fax: 01582 546656
[email protected]


© 2023 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ