During this Covid-19 outbreak emergency our main priorities are:
- protecting the most vulnerable people in Luton
- ensuring the health and safety of our residents and our staff
In response to the Covid-19 pandemic and government guidance, we're now enacting our contingency plans. See our main core service priorities and changes below.
- Abandoned vehicles
- Access to Parking Services
- Anti-social behaviour
- Blue Badge Service
- Community Led Local Development (CLLD)
- Customer Services
- Education admissions and appeals
- Day care centre closures
- Flying Start children’s centres
- Housing services
- Investigations and case management
- Licensing - private hire and hackney driver licences
- Luton Adult Learning
- MOT testing centre
- Luton Registration Service
- Neighbourhood Enforcement
- Parking enforcement activities and contacts
- Parks service and events
- Pest Control
- Planning enforcement investigations
- Planning Service
- Public protection
- Revenues and benefits
- Stray dogs
- Waste and bin collections
If you need to contact us to report an abandoned vehicle, you can do this via the online system. At this time, we will only be responding to high priority incidents.
If a vehicle is inAccess to Parking Services a dangerous position, please contact the Police on 101.
Access to Parking Services
We are no longer offering a public counter service and all of our services are now available online on the Parking webpages.
If you encounter difficulties using our online services or if you have any other concerns, please email [email protected]. In addition you can contact us by phone, please call us on 01582 547272 and leave a voicemail message. One of the team will return your call as soon as possible.
If you require immediate assistance, please contact Bedfordshire Police on 101 or 999 in an emergency.
If you need to contact an officer about an ongoing case we are managing, please contact your case officer. If you are not sure who this or of the contact details, please email us at [email protected].
If you need to report a new issue, please email us on [email protected] or call us on 01582 510330.
Blue Badge Service
The only enforcement suspended is for expired badges, all other enforcement against other types of misuse or parking where blue badge concessions are not valid will continue. If you are able to re-apply because you have access to all of your relevant information, please continue to submit your application as normal through applying for or renewing a blue badge.
Community Led Local Development (CLLD) small grants funding changes
- all applicants that have submitted their completed application will receive individual feedback
- the application process will remain open until further notice
- the decision day planned for the weekend of 18 April was cancelled and a new date will be fixed once the pandemic is over
- should there be any change stipulated by the European Social Fund (ESF) the guidance may change/be updated
If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact any of the designated area projects and involvement officers.
- To keep face to face contact to a minimum, services will be replaced with telephone contact as much as possible. Please help us to help the most vulnerable in our town by searching our coronavirus help page before making a call
- In some cases, customers will be asked to email their requests in or provided with a scheduled telephone appointment where previously a face to face appointment would have been made.
- Customers are no longer required to present documents in person but can either upload or send these by post.
- To manage reduced staff levels will be temporarily reduce the operating hours of the contact centre from 8am to 6pm to 9am to 5pm. This will be reviewed in 4 weeks or sooner if staffing levels permit.
- We have closed a number of public buildings in line with government advice. This means outreach services at Farley Hill and Lewsey Community Centres, Futures House and Luton Job Centre Plus are no longer running. In the event that government guidance changes to permit the opening of these sites, we will review our decision provided there are sufficient staff in place.
- Free school meals: please call 01582 510346
- School admissions: please call 01582 548016
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax reduction: please call 0300 790 0345
- Discretionary housing payments: please call 0300 790 0345
- Council Tax and summons queries: please call 0300 790 0340
- Business rates: please call 0300 790 0349
- Choice based letting and housing waiting list enquiries: please call 01582 510370
- New Bus Pass or renewal 01582 547256
Admin Revenues Proofs
5th Floor, Luton Borough Council, Town Hall, Luton, LU1 2BQ
Education admissions and appeals
Day care centre closures
- Farley Day Centre, Jill Jenkins, Whipperley Ring, LU1 5QY
- Colwell Court Day Centre, Colwell Rise, LU2 9TW
- St Monica’s Day Centre, St Ives Close, LU3 1PP
- Betty Dodd Court Day Centre, Grange Avenue LU4 9AS
- Chaul End Day Centre, Dunstable Road LU4 9QS
Flying Start children’s centres
- central - 01582 546931
- north - 01582 546925
- south - 01582 546929
- west - 01582 546932
Investigations and case management
For cases we are currently investigating including (this list is not exhaustive):
- noise nuisance
- environmental crime
- business compliance
Please contact the officer allocated to your case in the first instance. If you are not sure who this is or of the contact details, please email us at [email protected] and quote your case reference number where possible.
If you need to report a new case, please do this wherever possible through the online reporting system or call the customer service centre on 01582 510330.
Licensing - private hire and hackney driver licences
Luton Adult Learning - classroom based classes to end until further notice
MOT testing centre
Luton Registration Service - register office now open
- If you are married only one person will be allowed to attend the appointment.
- If you are not married then both parents should attend the appointment if the father’s details are to be added. The baby/babies to be registered may attend with the parent(s).
- Unfortunately no other children are allowed to enter the premises at this time.
- Payments for certificates will be by card only – no cash payments can be taken.
- Please bring a pen to sign the register entry.
- Please note there is very limited parking at the Register Office, we recommend you find alternate parking.
Correction or name change queries
Marriage and civil partnership queries
Citizenship ceremony queries
All other queries
Parking enforcement activities and contacts
Car parking charges reinstated
All parking charges for both on street and council owned car parks are back to normal. Please ensure you pay for your parking before leaving your vehicle using one of the available options as shown on the machines and tariff boards.
If you need to contact us about a penalty charge notice you have been issued, please review the Parking webpages.
If you need to report a vehicle that is parked dangerously and requires attention, please contact the police on 101.
For all other enquiries, please email us at [email protected].
Please do not make your way to this car park unless you are attending to have a coronavirus test. Other car parks are available in the town centre.
Parks service and events
Following advice from central government no public events can take place in Luton’s parks from now until further notice.
Also, update on service changes related to parks, grass cutting and allotments.
We will contact you to postpone and re-arrange appointments where necessary. We will provide advice over the telephone wherever possible.
During this time period, we will be assessing and prioritizing cases. We will only be providing a service for cases where there is a serious risk to health as a result of public health pests.
We will be implementing social distancing measures and our team will be asking you to help ensure that these are complied with.
Planning enforcement investigations - reduced/delayed
Following the latest government advice, we're adapting our public protection services while working to help ensure the safety of our residents, local businesses and our staff.
We encourage you, wherever possible, use our online services to:
We are currently operating on a reduced service across all public protection services.
During this period we may not be able to respond to your enquiry as promptly as we would like or provide the service that is being requested. If your request is urgent and cannot wait until the current situation improves then please review the following advice points and contact us where necessary.
Thank you for your patience at this difficult time. We currently have very limited access to departmental phone lines – please email us wherever possible.
- COVID-19 and renting: guidance for landlords, tenants and local authorities
- Right to Rent checks: COVID-19 guidance factsheet
Revenues and benefits
- Enforcement Agent visits for council tax business rates and BID levy will be replaced by telephone calls until the end of June.
- Council tax and business rates inspections will be put on hold until the end of June.
- Telephone verification will be attempted where possible.
- The Council has decided not to summons council tax business rates and BID levy payers for late payment until the end of June.
- The requirement to see original documentation for Housing benefit has been relaxed until the end of June. Original documentation can be uploaded and sent digitally via our website or posted.
If you are aware of a stray dog, please contact us on 01582 510330.
Waste and bin collections
Click the link below to find information on:
- changes to bin collections
- side waste
- Luton Tidy Tips (including FAQs)
- disposing of waste