Help #ProtectLuton – become a community champion today
“Luton’s volunteers and community groups have been exceptional throughout the coronavirus crisis in supporting each other and helping people in need.
So many countless acts of love, care and kindness are what makes us all so proud to live and work in this wonderful town.
To build on this we are looking for community champions from a wide range of backgrounds, cultures, faiths, ages and interests who reflect the diversity of Luton, to help pass on important public health messages and keep people safe.”
Councillor Khtija Malik
We need people from all walks of life to take on the important role of community champions and help us get out key public health messages in order to help protect our communities.
You don’t need any special skills, just a willingness to get involved. You may help run a small sports club, social group, or just have a wide circle of friends on social media. Communicating vital health messages and reaching everyone in the town is key to ensuring we all adopt the measures designed to keep us safe through sharing wellbeing messages and keeping the community informed on health matters.
What will I get from the council?
Once you are signed up as a champion you will get:
- regular updates from the council on the latest health issues affecting Luton
- key messages and updates that need to be communicated through Luton’s communities
- Suggested templates, video scripts, photo suggestions, social media post and other tools to assist with the dissemination of key messages
- frequent zoom calls where all champions can share ideas and provide feedback from the community to the council to help us improve our communication and messaging
- a single point of contact to discuss ideas, offer suggestions and ask questions
There is a group WhatsApp that is very interactive and a dedicated email address [email protected] where Champions are encouraged to make suggestions.
Another part of our Community Champions programme is the Covid-19 Vaccine Community Fund (CVCF). These are council funded community projects that are working to increase vaccination in Luton. We have 15 diverse projects from dedicated members of the community.