Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Working with children

Working with children can be a challenge but it can also be very rewarding. This page will give you information on childcare careers. For more information, please contact Luton Family Information Service.

Become a childminder or home child carer

As a childminder you would work in your own home and look after other people’s children, a home child carer would work in the child’s home.
Some of your duties will include making sure the children are clean, warm, fed and watered, stimulated and happy. You will have to follow the early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS). You may also have to transport a child to and from school commonly known as a drop off or pick up. Childminders and home child carers are self-employed and can negotiate their hours and how much they charge with the parents.
The Childcare Advice and Support Team at Luton Borough Council will be there to help you along the way and once you are fully set up and registered with Ofsted.
To enrol on the training courses to become a childminder you will need a working use of the English language and be 18 years or older.
If you are interested in becoming a childminder or home child carer in Luton please contact the Family Information Service for an information pack about course dates and requirements.

Help with your tax return

HMRC has created some helpful advice pages for all childminders about completing their annual tax return. It includes useful information about what can be included, record keeping, how to register and the time limits which apply. You can dip in and out at your leisure and just chose the sections you want to read. Visit the HMRC website for a tax tutorial for childminders.

Set up your own childcare provision

You may choose to set up your own setting such as a nursery, pre school, breakfast or after school club or holiday scheme.
If you choose to set up your own provision you will need to find a suitable venue, carry out research on the demand for childcare in that area, find and employ suitably qualified staff and many other aspects. As the owner or manager of the setting you would be expected to have or undertake relevant training.
The Childcare Advice and Support Team at Luton Borough Council will be there to help you along the way and once you are fully set up and registered with Ofsted.

Work in an existing childcare setting

If you would still like to work with children but do not want to set up your own business, this may be the better option for you. Many settings will require you to have a childcare qualification or a willingness to train as you work.
If you choose to work in a nursery or pre school you will be working as part of a team, planning and organising stimulating educational and fun activities and taking care of the children’s personal needs, such as food, washing and sleep. 
In a breakfast or afterschool club you may be involved in planning and carrying out of different stimulating and relaxing activates with children and young people. You could be doing anything from joining in their games and providing breakfast to helping with homework and giving them a safe place to play and make learning fun. A holiday scheme would be along the same lines except you would not be expected to help with homework.
For more information on working in childcare settings, please download the information booklet below.


Contact info
Luton Family Information Service (FIS)
Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton, LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 548888

[email protected]


© 2023 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ