Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Private fostering - are you looking after someone else’s child?

If you are looking after someone else’s child (under 16, or under 18 if they have a disability) for more than 28 days in a row, and they are not a close relation, and you are not their legal guardian  this is called private fostering and you need tell us.

Why does the council need to know?

We have a responsibility to make sure children and young people in Luton are safe and being properly cared for. It’s also important that you receive the support you need in your new role so you are not alone to face new challenges. 
If you are a private foster carer, a social worker will visit you to ensure the child or young person is safe and well, and they will also offer you help and support.​​

What will I need to do?

You should tell us about the arrangement at least six weeks before the private fostering arrangement begins. If a child or young person arrives at short notice you will need to advise us within 48 hours of them arriving.

What does the parent have to do?

As a parent you must tell us if you have asked someone who is not a close relative to look after your child. We all have a responsibility to protect children in our local community. If you believe a child or young person is being cared for under a private arrangement you must tell us.

Contact us

If you are not sure whether you are a private foster carer or you need to let us know you are looking
after someone else’s child, then please contact our Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub or alternatively you can call us on 01582 547653​, your call will be treated sensitively and in confidence.

Please contact the fostering team if you require the leaflet in Urdu, Polish or Bengali on 01582 547569 or email [email protected].​​​


© 2021 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ