Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Support for people with visual impairment

Registering as a person with a visual impairment

Find out about what you're entitled to when you register as a person with a visual impairment, from allowances, exemptions and reductions to welfare benefits. This guide also includes useful, local contacts.

Resources and contacts for people registered with a visual impairment

If you have a visual impairment which impacts on your day-to-day life, there is help available from our Sensory Service.

We support and promote the independence and wellbeing of adults and children who have a visual impairment that impacts on their day-to-day activities.

How can the Sensory Service help me?

You do not need to be formally registered as having a visual impairment to access our service.
Our service will:
  • register people with Luton Borough Council as Severely Sight Impaired (Blind) or Sight Impaired (Partially Sighted) on receipt of a Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI)
  • give guidance about reading, writing and accessing information and advice
  • support people to be as mobile as possible, promoting safe and independent travel
  • support people in finding ways to manage day-to-day activities of daily living e.g. making a hot drink or using the cooker
  • support people in understanding and coping with their sight loss
  • inform people of specialist community support available for those with a visual impairment in Luton liaise with, and refer to, other agencies providing support in Luton

Based upon your individual situation, we may be able to provide information, training, referrals and some equipment such as:

  • liquid level indicators, tactile markings for household equipment
  • talking clocks, task lamps etc
  • mobility equipment e.g. white symbol canes and long canes
  • referral to Sight Concern for support and advice
  • referral to the fire service for smoke detectors
  • our rehabilitation officers can give practical advice and training to promote and maintain your independence

How do I get help from the Sensory Service?

So that we can work out which services will be the most suitable for you, we need to look at your individual situation. We call this an ‘assessment of care needs’.
Follow this link to read more about your assessment of care needs.

To access most of our services you will need to meet our eligibility criteria.
Follow this link to read more about eligibility criteria.

To request an assessment of care needs please contact our Customer Service Centre on the numbers below.

Registering your visual impairment

Our service is only able to place you on the Severely Sight Impaired (Blind) and Sight Impaired (Partially Sighted) registers held by Luton Borough Council when we have received a copy of your CVI (Certificate of Visual Impairment) from your hospital eye clinic.

Only a consultant ophthalmologist is able to determine if someone is eligible for registration, which they will do in discussion with you, and by completing a Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI).

More information about registering as a person with a visual impairment can be found on the RNIB website. Follow this link to visit the RNIB.

Other help available

Other organisations that may be able to help include:

Sight Concern
Tel: 01234 311555
email: [email protected]


Action for Blind People


Blind veterans

Guide dogs

Contact info
Customer Services Centre
Luton Borough Council, Town Hall, George Street, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 547659 or 547660

[email protected]


© 2022 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ