Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Sheltered housing


Tenant enquiry form

Contact us via this form if you can't find the information you're looking for. 

Complete our enquiry form

Sheltered housing is purpose built accommodation and each property is equipped with an alarm system linked to a control centre.

Each property is self contained, so you have the freedom and privacy of your own front door and the use of additional communal facilities.

Sheltered housing enables you to live independently and feel secure knowing that there is help when you need it. Facilities include:

  • a 24 hour emergency alarm system linked to a control centre
  • a variety of social activities that you can choose to join in
  • a social area including free wifi access
  • communal gardens

Some schemes also have hair salons and games rooms.

I'm interested in living in sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is generally for people over 55, although if you're younger, you'll be considered if you:

  • have a disability
  • need additional assistance at home to live independently

Priority is given to applicants who would most benefit from this type of accommodation. If you want to move into sheltered housing, find out how to bid for council and housing association homes.

If you'd like further advice, contact to us on the contact details below.

Sheltered housing with ‘extra care’

Some sheltered housing schemes are designed for people who need more support and still want to live independently. These are known as ‘extra care sheltered housing’.

The schemes have the same facilities as sheltered housing, with the addition of:

  • carers on site 24 hours a day
  • a resident sheltered housing officer

This means you'd still have your own self contained property, along with help at hand if you need it.

If you think you might need ‘extra care’ you'll need to have an assessment of care needs from our Adult Social Care team. You may qualify for help you in other ways too. Find out how to get a care needs assessment.

I’d like to stay where I live now but may need help in an emergency

We can help with a range of home and personal alarm systems to help you to continue to live independently in your own home.

Knowing you can call for help quickly and easily can provide peace of mind, particularly if you're elderly or have a disability. It can also help carers, friends and family to feel reassured that you are safe.

More about Lifeline and Telecare personal alarms.

Contact info
Housing allocations
Luton Borough Council, Town Hall, George Street, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 2BQ
Tel: 01582 546646

[email protected]


© 2024 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ