Luton Borough Council
Our waste and recycling standards
On this page ...
Domestic waste and recycling standards
The service standard for domestic waste document gives details of our service for providing domestic recycling and refuse collections.
Why do we need a service standard?
- to contribute towards our vision to Waste less, Recycle more
- to ensure all residents are aware of their responsibilities in relation to waste and recycling collections in Luton
- to increase the quality and quantity of recycling collected from households in Luton
- to ensure that we maintain safe, sustainable, economic and efficient waste and recycling collections for all householders in Luton
Please help us by...
- putting the correct materials in the correct bins
- placing your waste container out for collection before 6am on your allocated collection day
- remove your waste containers from pavement or road no later than 7pm on the collection day
- numbering your waste containers with a house number/name to reduce the risk of it being lost/stolen and help the crews put it back in the right place
- being courteous to the crews during their rounds and showing patience when driving behind them and comply with the Highway Code
You can expect us to...
- provide a fortnightly collection of recycling, refuse, garden waste and glass
- only collect items that are in the right containers – if something is not in the right bin/bag/box we will leave a sticker saying why it wasn’t taken
- we will not collect extra bags of refuse/side waste
- ensure our crews are polite and courteous during their collections
- provide an assisted bins collection to people who are physically unable to take out their bins
- provide two Tidy Tips (household waste recycling centres) and a number of neighbourhood recycling centres where you can take your waste and recycling
- provide a bulky waste collection service at additional fee
© 2022 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ