Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Mobile caterers start up advice

Mobile business can be varied in type. They can include vans, stalls, market fairs, events caterers and street kitchens.

  1. You must contact the Food and Safety team if you go ahead with your planned business as it is a legal requirement to register with us. An officer may call you in the coming week to clarify the type of business you intend to start. Follow this link for an explanation of our role in regulating your business. Note that for home caterers we will always pre-arrange visits
  2. Follow this link for information on starting up a food business
  3. Follow this link for information which covers the basics of food hygiene
  4. Allergen awareness is important when selling food to the final consumer
  5. It is a legal requirement to have a written food safety management system. A free system called Safer Food Better Business is available. This has been designed for caterers by caterers. You can type onto this version of the pack and print it off once completed. If you prefer you can print the relevant sections of the pack and fill it in by hand
  6. The Industry Guide to Good Hygiene Practice gives more specific guidance on what is expected of temporary food businesses and those in domestic premises. It also explains how to control the risks during the transportation and service of food
  7. This CIEH guide also gives useful information on all aspects of mobile and event catering
  8. Follow this link to a document that explains how your food hygiene rating is judged and gives tips on what practices to follow to achieve a better rating. Follow this link for further guidance on the control of cross contamination, commonly known as the E coli guidance
  9. Follow this link for EC regulation 852/2004 on the hygiene of foodstuffs. Chapter III (page 15 of the file) gives the specific rules for mobile or temporary food business. Chapters 1 through 12 apply to fixed food premises which in your case may be rooms of your home where food is being prepared or stored for sale on the stall/mobile. If you follow the advice and procedures listed you will be compliant with these regulations
  10. Training in food hygiene is also a legal requirement. It is also recommended that those who have an adequate qualification in food hygiene have refresher training every 3 years. If you get through the information above you will know better if you need to attend a course or not. The Level 2 Food Safety in Catering course is delivered by our food and safety officers. Follow this link for the dates of upcoming courses
  11. This example food preparation risk assessment can be useful when analysing health and safety issues at your business
  12. It is strongly recommended you do not purchase a unit unless it comes with a valid gas and electrical certificate
  13. It is also worth noting the material forming the trailer body should be made of material which has 30 minutes fire resistance or there should be a 30 minute heat resistant shield between the trailer body and the gas (LPG) storage cupboard
  14. Business support is available from our economic development team
  15. As a mobile trader you need to consider carefully where you trade; this will involve contacting the Highways and Planning departments. Follow this link for information on Street trading licence
© 2023 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ