Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Event caterers start up advice

If you are thinking of starting your own food-related business this information will help guide you through what is involved.

  1. You must contact the Food and Safety team if you go ahead with your planned business as it is a legal requirement to register with us. An officer may call you in the coming week to clarify the type of business you intend to start. Follow this link for an explanation of our role in regulating your business. Note that for home caterers we will always pre-arrange visits. 
  2. The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health guide gives useful information on all aspects of mobile and event catering
  3. Follow this link for information on starting up a food business
  4. Follow this link for information which covers the basics of food hygiene
  5. Allergen awareness is important when selling food to the final consumer
  6. It is a legal requirement to have a written food safety management system. A free system called Safer Food Better Business is available. This has been designed for caterers by caterers. You can type onto this version of the pack and print it off once completed. If you prefer you can print the relevant sections of the pack and fill it in by hand.
  7. Follow this link to a document that explains how your food hygiene rating is judged and gives tips on what practices to follow to achieve a better rating
  8. Follow this link to the EC regulation 852/2004 on the hygiene of foodstuffs. Chapter III (page 15 of the file) gives the specific rules for mobile or temporary food business. Chapters 1 through 12 apply to fixed food premises which in your case may be rooms of your home where food is being prepared or stored for sale on the stall/mobile. If you follow the advice and procedures listed you will be compliant with these regulations.
  9. Training in food hygiene is also a legal requirement. It is also recommended that those who have an adequate qualification in food hygiene have refresher training every 3 years. If you get through the information above you will know better if you need to attend a course or not. The Level 2 Food Safety in Catering course is delivered by our food and safety officers. Follow this link for the dates of upcoming courses
© 2023 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ