Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Caterers start up advice

If you are thinking of starting your own food-related business this information will help guide you through what is involved.

It is very important to note that certain premises must be approved by the local authority before they open. These premises are generally involved in food manufacture and they produce products of animal origin.  For example you cannot make meat/fish pies, samosas, kebabs or soups or carryout canning or bottling of any product with a meat or fish content and sell it to caterers, shops or other retailers. If your business falls into this category you will be contacted.
  1. You must contact the Food and Safety team if you go ahead with your planned business as it is a legal requirement to register with us. An officer may call you in the coming week to clarify the type of business you intend to start. Follow this link for an explanation of our role in regulating your business.  
  2. Follow this link for information on starting up a food business
  3. Follow this link for information which covers the basics of food hygiene
  4. Allergen awareness is important when selling food to the final consumer
  5. It is a legal requirement to have a written food safety management system. A free system called Safer Food Better Business is available. This has been designed for caterers by caterers. You can type onto this version of the pack and print it off once completed. If you prefer you can print the relevant sections of the pack and fill it in by hand.
  6. Follow this link to a document that explains how your food hygiene rating is judged and gives tips on what practices to follow to achieve a better rating. Follow this link for further guidance on the control of cross contamination, commonly known as the E coli guidance.
  7. Training in food hygiene is also a legal requirement. It is also recommended that those who have an adequate qualification in food hygiene have refresher training every 3 years. If you get through the information above you will know better if you need to attend a course or not. The Level 2 Food Safety in Catering course is delivered by our food and safety officers. Follow this link for the dates of upcoming courses
  8. Though we do not enforce health and safety legislation at domestic premises this example food preparation risk assessment may be useful when analysing risks at your business
  9. Business support is available from our economic development team
  10. You are advised, especially with a new business, to consult our planning department as you must make sure your business has the necessary planning permission to operate from the premises you have chosen. The duty planning officer is available on 01582 546317
© 2023 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ