Luton Borough Council
Butchers selling only raw meat start up advice
If you are thinking of starting your own food-related business this information will help guide you through what is involved.
- You must contact the Food and Safety team if you go ahead with your planned business as it is a legal requirement to register with us. An officer may call you in the coming week to clarify the type of business you intend to start. Follow this link for an explanation of our role in regulating your business.
- Follow this link for information on starting up a food business
- Follow this link for information which covers the basics of food hygiene
- Allergen awareness is important when selling food to the final consumer if you have added ingredients to the food such as marinated meat or fish.
- It is a legal requirement to have a written food safety management system. A free system called Safer Food Better Business is available. This has been designed for caterers by caterers. You can type onto this version of the pack and print it off once completed. If you prefer you can print the relevant sections of the pack and fill it in by hand. Some sections may not be relevant to your business but we have produced a supplementary sheet on controlling cross contamination in butchery businesses. We have also produced a How do you rate me? poster which you can use as a checklist to ensure your butchery staff work hygienically.
- Training in food hygiene is also a legal requirement. It is also recommended that those who have an adequate qualification in food hygiene have refresher training every 3 years. If you get through the information above you will know better if you need to attend a course or not. The Level 2 Food Safety in Catering course is delivered by our food and safety officers. Follow this link for the dates of upcoming courses
- These example risk assessments can be useful when analysing health and safety issues at your business; if you have a convenience store/newsagents with a butchery counter. Also see the attached information sheet on safely using band saws.
- Business support is available from our economic development team
- You are advised, especially with a new business, to consult our planning department. You must ensure you business has the necessary planning permission to operate from the premises you have chosen. The duty planning officer is available at (01582) 546317
© 2023 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ