Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN) service
What does the SLCN service offer children, young people and their families?
- Observation/ assessment of referred child in their setting
- Discussion with setting and staff regarding practical strategies to help referred child access their learning
- Support in setting targets for referred child’s individual education plan
- Support when planning for referred child’s move to school or to their next school
- Training for staff in referred child’s setting if requested
- Liaison with the speech and language therapy service and health services
- Advice on developing referred child’s early language skills at home
What does the service offer schools?
- Observation, assessment, planning, strategies and staff consultation to identify any barriers to learning
- Advice and support strategies given in a written report to be shared with parents and other professional where needed
- Sign posting and liaison with other agencies such as speech and language therapy.
- selective mutism
- communication friendly setting training
- bi-lingualism in early childhood
- early language development programme
- children as story tellers
- bespoke training packages including development and support for receptive and expressive language developments
Courses currently available include:
- Elklan speech and language support for 11 to 16’s
- Elklan speech and language support for 5 to 11’s lklan speech and language support for 5 to 11’s
Support for families
- Parent support group - SMARTI - (Selective Mutism Resources, Training and Information)
This is a targeted support for families whose child or young person have been diagnosed with selective mutism or identified by setting/ school as a reluctant speaker.
This is run by the team and aims to link families in similar circumstances, provide a listening ear and user friendly advice and information.
How to refer
- We accept referrals from a range of professionals
- Parents must be consulted and agree to the referral
- A referral form can be requested by contacting the team on the details below
- A referral from SLM must be accompanied by a referral form
Please note: if reports have written by other professionals, please include copies with referral form.
Who are we?
Our team consists of a Speech, Language and Communication Difficulties Advisory Teacher (part-time) and a Speech Language and Communication Difficulties Adviser.
Staff are well qualified and highly experienced in supporting children with speech, language and communication needs.
This SLCN service is available as a Traded Service for academies and free schools in Luton, as well as to schools beyond Luton and private schools.
For details of costs, please contact Tracey Spence: [email protected].
Futures House, The Moakes, Marsh Farm, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU3 3QB
Tel: 01582 548151
Fax: 01582 548220