SEN advisors early years
What does the service offer children young people and their families?
- Supervision of a Portage programme in settings/home visits
- Support to families from referral with ongoing support and advice
- Discussion with staff regarding practical strategies to help referred child access their learning and provide the best possible learning environment for pupils with specific needs
- Support in setting targets for referred child’s individual education plan
- Support when planning for referred child’s move to nursery, pre-school or school
- Training for staff in referred child’s setting if requested
- Liaison with other educational, health and social services
What do the SEN advisors (Early Years) offer pre-school settings and schools?
- Portage training is provided to staff in schools, resource nurseries, private, voluntary and independent pre-school settings (PVIs), with ongoing advice/support after course completion
- A 2-day training course is offered to new SENCOs or inclusion coordinators
- Observation of children, including consultation with staff, with verbal advice/written report
- Attend transition planning meetings
- Attend school liaison meetings (SLMs)
- Support schools and settings implement advice from health and other support agencies
- Termly cluster/area updates
How to refer
- We accept referrals from a range of professionals. Application forms are available by contacting us on the details provided
- Parents must be consulted and agree to the referral
Who are we?
There are three SEN advisors (Early Years) that support early identification and Intervention for children with special educational needs throughout Luton.
The role of an SEN advisor is to:
- empower all those working in early years settings to develop inclusive early learning environments
- help settings support children by removing barriers to learning wherever these exist
This SENsAdvisors (Early Years) service is available as a Traded Service for academies and free schools in Luton, as well as to schools and settings beyond Luton and private schools.
Additional resources available as part of Traded Services includes
- SEN handbook
- Portage training and ongoing supervision
- Bespoke SEN training
- Observation tool
- Assessment tool
For details of costs, please contact Tracey Spence on 01582 548173 or email [email protected].
The Leagrave Centre,Strangers Way,, Luton, LU4 9ND
Tel: 01582 548151