Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Travel assistance



​​All children between the ages of 5 and 16 may qualify for free school travel assistance if they go to their nearest suitab​le school and live at least:

  • 2 miles from the school, if they are under the age of 8 years old
  • 3 miles from the school, if they are 8 years old or older

If you get the maximum Working Tax Credit or your children are entitled to free school meals, they may get free travel assistance.

Children with special educational needs and disabilities (​SEND): Your child may be entitled to travel assistance if they cannot walk to school / college / education provision because of their SEND or mobility problem.

*Attendance at a special school or a learning resource base does not automatically entitle your child to travel assistance.

Luton Council travel assistance policies:

To apply for travel assistance for children/students with Special Educational Needs (SEN) / Education, Health & Care Plan (EHCP) and/or Disability, please complete the online application form. 

If you experience any difficulty completing the form online, you can download the 2020 - 2021 - SEN Application for travel assistance document below and scan to [email protected] - or post (with supporting documentation) to:

SEND Travel Assistance

SEND Travel Assistance Team
Passenger Travel Unit
Central Depot

Contact telephone number: 01582 548098

Mainstream Travel Assistance

If you are non-SEND, (pre) and post 16 applications, you must download the paper application form 2020 - 2021 - Application for travel assistance (Mainstream) below and scan to [email protected] - or post (with supporting documentation) to the below address

Mainstream Travel Assistance Team
Luton Council​
Planning and Admissions
Town Hall
LU1 2BQ​

Contact telephone number: 01582 548227

Please write 'private and confidential' o​n your envelopes for the Travel Assistance Team, as the contents are personal and sensitive.


Apply for SEN travel assistance​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​



© 2021 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ