All children between the ages of 5 and 16 may qualify for free school travel assistance if they go to their nearest suitable school and live at least:
- 2 miles from the school, if they are under the age of 8 years old
- 3 miles from the school, if they are 8 years old or older
If you get the maximum Working Tax Credit or your children are entitled to free school meals, they may get free travel assistance.
Children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND): Your child may be entitled to travel assistance if they cannot walk to school / college / education provision because of their SEND or mobility problem.
*Attendance at a special school or a learning resource base does not automatically entitle your child to travel assistance.
Students residing in Luton throughout the duration of their course from low income families and learners in local authority care or those that have recently left local authority care. Low income is defined as students whose family meet the criteria used for assessing eligibility for free school meals. Please visit our Free school meals page.
- Enrolled on and attending a full time course engaged with learning or training at a further education institution, a school or academy, an authority maintained or assisted institution providing higher or further education.
- An establishment funded directly by the Education Funding Agency or a learning provider that is funded by the local authority to deliver Foundation Learning or other accredited programmes of Learning.
- Students must be over the statutory school age but not aged 19 or over, on 31 August in the year in which their course of study began.
- Students must live further than three miles (walking route) from the nearest institution to offer their chosen course. Where a student opts to attend an institution other than their nearest college the chosen course must differ by at least 50% to that offered by nearer institutions.
- Payments will be made directly into the student’s bank account on a half termly basis. Each subsequent half term payment will be dependent upon 95% attendance in the previous half term. Qualifying students will be paid half the weekly ticket price of the bus travel up to a maximum of £7.50 per week.
Luton Council travel assistance policies:
- home to school policy - covering ages 5 - 16 years old
- post 16 2020/2021 - covering age 16 years and older
To apply for travel assistance for children/students with Special Educational Needs (SEN) / Education, Health & Care Plan (EHCP) and/or Disability, please complete the online application form.
If you experience any difficulty completing the form online, you can download the 2020 - 2021 - SEN Application for travel assistance document below and scan to [email protected] - or post (with supporting documentation) to:
SEND Travel Assistance
SEND Travel Assistance Team
Passenger Travel Unit
Contact telephone number: 01582 548098
Mainstream Travel Assistance
If you are non-SEND, (pre) and post 16 applications, you must download the paper application form 2020 - 2021 - Application for travel assistance (Mainstream) below and scan to [email protected] - or post (with supporting documentation) to the below address
Mainstream Travel Assistance Team
Planning and Admissions
Contact telephone number: 01582 548227
Please write 'private and confidential' on your envelopes for the Travel Assistance Team, as the contents are personal and sensitive.