Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP)


Additional funding for your childcare provider or school to support your child’s learning and development. For three and four year old children.

EYPP is extra funding from the government to help your three or four year old child’s early education.

If you’re eligible, your childcare provider could claim on your behalf, and the money is used to help support and improve your child’s individual learning.

It can be claimed by:

  • Ofsted registered nurseries
  • pre-schools
  • childminders
  • schools that provide your child’s funded 15 hours

See EYPP guides below:

How does it help my child?

It could help your child to:

  • enjoy a wider range of learning experiences
  • benefit from extra resources and equipment suited to their needs
  • be more prepared for starting school

Who’s eligible?

You may apply for EYPP if:

  • your child is already receiving free part-time early education hours
  • you’re on certain benefits, allowances, or a low income
  • your child is or has been in care


Children must be accessing their free early education place before you can apply for EYPP funding. They do not have to take up the full 570 hours of early education they’re entitled to, but they must also meet at least one of the following criteria:

  1. their family gets one of the following:
    • Income Support
    • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
    • the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
    • Child Tax Credit (provided they’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
    • Working Tax Credit run-on, which is paid for 4 weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
    • Universal Credit
  2. the child is currently being looked after by a local authority in England or Wales
  3. the child has left care in England or Wales through:
    • an adoption
    • a special guardianship order
    • a child arrangement order

How can I apply?

To apply for EYPP, you need to do the following:

  • contact your childcare provider or school
  • provide them with some additional information to check if you’re eligible
© 2024 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ