Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Other exemptions from council tax


​​There are other exemptions from paying Council Tax. See the list below and apply if you think you qualify.
  • An empty home which have been left empty by students. We would need a student certificate as proof to support this application.
  • A property where all the people who live there are under the age of 18 until someone who is 18, or older, lives there.
  • Armed forces accommodation whether occupied or unoccupied.
  • Visiting armed forces accommodation as long as at least one resident who would be liable for Council Tax is a member (or dependent) of a visiting force and is neither a British citizen or ordinary resident in the UK.
  • A property where at least one liable person has diplomatic privileges or immunity as long as they are not a permanent UK resident, British citizen, British subject or British protected person and the UK is not their main residence or another dwelling in the UK is not their main residence.
  • A property that is part of another property (an annexe or 'granny flat') and a dependent relative lives there who is 65 or over, severely mentally impaired or substantially and permanently disabled. We’ll give the exemption for as long as the dependent relative lives there.

Apply for Council Tax exemption for another reason​​​

After you've applied for a discount

You must still pay the amount on your Council Tax bill until you hear from us.

If you qualify for the discount, we’ll check every year that you're still entitled to it. Tell us if your circumstances change in the meantime as this may affect your discount. If you don't tell us you may have to pay a penalty.​​

© 2021 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ