Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Discount when someone in your home is mentally disabled


You can get a reduction in your Council Tax if someone aged 18 or over lives with you, is mentally disabled and not counted for Council Tax purposes.

Find out if you are eligible for a discount an​d apply

The rules say the person must be 'severely mentally impaired'(SMI). This includes people who:

  • have been diagnosed as suffering with severe and enduring mental health issues including Alzheimer's disease​
  • suffer from other forms of dementia
  • had had a stroke(s)​

Their condition must be confirmed by a doctor.

The mentally disabled person must also qualify for one of the following benefits even if they don't receive it, for example because they are pension age:

  • short-term or long-term Incapacity Benefit (IB)
  • employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA)
  • the highest or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate
  • an increase in Disablement Pension for constant attendance
  • the disability element of Working Tax Credit
  • Unemployability Supplement (abolished in 1987 but existing claimants remain entitled)
  • Constant Attendance Allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pension schemes
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Income Support which includes a disability premium because of incapacity for work
  • the ‘limited capability for work’ or ‘the limited capability for work related elements’ of Universal Credit

A mentally disabled person in your household does not always lead to a reduction in Council Tax. No reduction will be given where two or more adults (who are counted for Council Tax purposes) are resident. Apply if you are not sure so that we can check.

If only one person, or a number of people, live at the property and they are all mentally disabled this is covered by a different rule and the property may be exempt from Council Tax.

If there is more than one mentally disabled person in the property, each person needs to submit a GP certificate as part of the application. Please download the form below and ask your doctor or other health professional who knows about your condition to complete it for each person.

Print off the doctor's certificate below and ask your doctor or other health professional who knows about your condition to fill in the doctor's certificate. Upload the completed form when you submit your application for a discount below. Please quote your council tax account number on any correspondence you send to us.


Apply for discount when someone in your home is mentally disabled

After you've applied for a discount

You must still pay the amount on your Council Tax bill until you hear from us.

If you qualify for the discount, we’ll check every year that you're still entitled to it. Tell us if your circumstances change in the meantime as this may affect your discount. If you don't tell us you may have to pay a penalty.​​​​​​​​​


© 2021 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ