Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Council tax exceptional hardship scheme

If you experience exceptional circumstances of financial hardship, then you may be able to claim some discretionary assistance with your council tax. This is not a cash payment, but an account balancing payment to help manage a debt.

Our budget for this is limited so the help available will be for a set period and amount.

As a condition of any award you may be signposted to our third party partners who can offer support, advice and guidance to help you manage to pay your share of this local tax on an ongoing basis.

As part of the form, you must provide proof of your income and expenditure. This includes bank statements for all accounts you have including:
  • current accounts
  • savings accounts
  • Post Office accounts
  • ISAs
  • any other financial accounts held by the adult(s) in the household
You must also provide other evidence to support your application including proof of the following:
  • all income
  • rent arrears (if applicable)
  • any loans or finance repayments
  • credit card debts
  • court fines
  • maintenance payments
  • any work related travel costs
  • any deductions made from any benefits you receive, for example deductions for repayment of a Social Fund loan
  • debts for utilities such as gas, electric and water

A decision on your claim will be made as soon as possible after receipt of your application.

The exceptional hardship fund is a discretionary scheme set up by us and  funded by council tax payers of the borough. Payment of any award under this scheme is dependent upon sufficient funds being available within our budget.
Any award approved will:
  • only be provided for a limited time
  • Paid from Monday after receipt of the application 
If you disagree with the decision on your application you can ask for a review of the decision. This must be requested one calendar month of the decision notification letter.
Apply for council tax exceptional hardship

To appeal against a decision

To appeal against a decision that effects your council tax after 1 April 2013, you should write to us asking for a review of the decision. The request must be in writing and give reasons as to why the decision should be reviewed.
We have a duty to respond within two months but if you have not received a reply within four months then you can appeal direct to the Valuation Tribunal at the following address:
Valuation Tribunal
London Office
2nd floor
120 Leman Street
E1 8EU
Email: [email protected]

Enquiry form

Contact us via this form if you can't find the information you're looking for.

Complete our enquiry form


© 2024 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ