Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Carer's discount


In some circumstances, we do not count a live-in carer when adding up the number of people in a property.

Find out if you are eligible for a carers' discount and apply

There are two types of people who can be classed as a care worker. You must be resident at the property and live with the person that you provide care for.

Employed Care Workers

A person may be disregarded for the purposes of discount if:

  • he/she is providing care or support or both to another person or persons and either
    • he/she is providing care or support on behalf of a local authority or charitable body; or
    • is employed to provide such care or support by the person to whom it is provided and to whom he/she was introduced by a local authority or charitable body;
  • is engaged or employed to do so for at least 24 hours a week; and
    • is in receipt under the engagement or employment of not more than £44 a week; and
    • is resident in premises provided by or on behalf of the local authority or charitable body, or by his/her employer, for the better performance of his/her work.

Apply for employed careworkers' discount

Voluntary Care Workers​

If you and your carer live in your home, you may be able to get a carers’ discount to reduce your bill by 25%.

The live-in carer must provide care for at least 35 hours a week and they must not be either:

  • the partner of the person who is being cared for
  • the child's parent if the person being cared for is under 18

The person being cared for must normally get one of these benefits:

  • the middle or highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • increase in Constant Attendance Allowance (CAP) under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions scheme
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • highest rate of CAP payable on top of full rate Disablement Benefit paid for an industrial injury

In certain circumstances when just you and your carer live in your home, you may still be able to get a carers’ discount (when we don't count your live-in carer), even if the cared-for person doesn't get one of the benefits listed above.

Apply for voluntary care workers’ discount​

After you've applied for a discount

You must still pay the amount on your Council Tax bill until you hear from us.

If you qualify for the discount, we’ll check every year that you're still entitled to it. Tell us if your circumstances change in the meantime as this may affect your discount. If you don't tell us you may have to pay a penalty.

© 2021 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ