Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council

Council Tax bands

Follow this link to find out your Council Tax band.

You pay Council Tax for any property you live in, as well as unoccupied properties. Every property is allocated a band A to H, which is based on its value at April 1991.

The thresholds of these bands and the current Council Tax for the 2023/24 financial year are:

Property band Capital values as at 1 April 1991 (£) Council tax (£) 2023/24

(with disabled relief)

0 to 40,000

A 0 to 40,000 1,404.44
B 40,001 to 52,000 1,638.51
C 52,001 to 68,000 1,872.58
D 68,001 to 88,000 2,106.65
E 88,001 to 120,000 2,574.80
F 120,001 to 160,000 3,042.94
G 160,000 to 320,000 3,511.09
H over 320,000 4,213.31

How to challenge your Council Tax band

Council Tax bands are based on how much a property was worth on 1 April 1991. The Valuation Office Agency is responsible for valuing properties for the purposes of Council Tax banding.

If you think your banding may be wrong, you can contact the Valuation Office Agency to discuss your reasons.

For more information on how to challenge your band visit the website on Council Tax band.

You must continue paying your Council Tax while the challenge is happening.

Who has to pay Council Tax?

Follow the list down and as soon as you reach a description that applies to a member in your household, then they will be the person liable to pay Council Tax.

  • Resident freeholder
  • Resident leaseholder
  • Resident statutory or secure tenant
  • Resident licensee
  • Resident
  • Owner (where the property has no residents)

A resident is a person who is 18 years of age or over, occupying the dwelling as their main or only home.

All the people in the household that fall into the same category are responsible for paying the Council Tax, for example joint tenants. Partners whether married or not are also liable even if they do not have the same interest in the property.

There are cases when the landlord is always liable:

  • housing in multiple occupation (HMOs) - if the dwelling is in multiple occupation, such as a hostel or a group of bedsits where the residents pay the landlord separately for different parts of the property
  • residential care homes, nursing homes, mental nursing homes or certain types of hostels providing a high level of care
  • religious communities such as monasteries or convents
  • a dwelling which is not the owner's home but which is the main home of someone the owner employs in domestic service
  • vicarages or other dwellings where a minister of religion lives and works (where the owner-occupier is a Church of England minister of religion, the church is responsible for the bill)
  • dwellings occupied only by asylum seekers who have been housed by Social Services

Enquiry form

Contact us via this form if you can't find the information you're looking for.

Complete our enquiry form

© 2024 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ