The Luton Register Office is open for birth registrations. This is by appointment only. Please do not come to the office for any other business.
For your safety and that of the staff, social distancing measures will be in place. Face coverings are advised to be worn when visiting the Register Office unless you are exempt.
- If you are married, only one person is required to attend the appointment.
- If you are not married, then both parents should attend the appointment if the father’s details are to be added.
- Payments for certificates will be by cash or card.
Please note: there is very limited parking at the Register Office, we recommend you find alternate parking.
To book a birth appointment, please select the 'Book appointment now' button below.
On this page ...
How to register a birth
You need to make an appointment with the register office to register your baby.
The birth must be registered within 42 days (six weeks) of the birth of your child, in the district where the baby was born. If you cannot attend at Luton Register Office, you can go to another register office and register the birth by declaration and you will receive any requested certificates by post.
The mother of the baby.
The mother or the father of the baby may register the birth alone if the parents were married to each other at the time of the birth.
If the parents were not married to each other at the time of the birth, the father's details can only be entered in the register in the following circumstances:
- the mother and father attend together
- the mother or the father, attending alone, bringing with them a statutory declaration signed by the other parent the mother can choose to register the birth without the child’s father if they are not married and the father’s details will not be included on the birth certificate
Who else can register the birth?
- date and place of baby's birth
- for twins and triplets etc, the time of each baby’s birth
- forenames, surname and sex of the baby
- full names of parents and any other names they are known by or have previously been known by
- parents’ dates and place of birth
- parents’ Jobs
- parents’ date of marriage (if applicable)
- mother’s maiden surname
Please bring with you to the appointment:
- baby's NHS number (found on the discharge notes form the hospital or midwife or the red book)
- documentation showing spelling of parents names (eg passports)
Registering a birth is free of charge. Full and short birth certificates cost £11 each. A full certificate is required when applying for a passport.
If you realise there is an error on a birth registration, you should contact the Register Office where the registration took place. The non-refundable correction consideration fees are either £75 or £90 depending on the type of correction.Here is more information on correcting a birth registration.
Please contact the Register Office for more advice.
If you have difficulty with English please bring someone to interpret for you otherwise the registration may not proceed.
Order a birth certificate for births registered within the district of Luton
To order a copy of a birth certificate online please click on the button below.Order a birth certificate..
Order by post
Please download the application form to order a copy of a birth certificate, fill it in and return it to the address below.
Order in person
Birth certificates can be ordered at the register office. The address is:
- Luton Register Office
6 George Street West
T: 0300 790 0341
E: [email protected]