Skip to main content
Luton Borough Council



On this page...

Brexit Bill passed through parliament

A trade deal between UK and EU was agreed on 24 December 2020 and passed through the British parliament on 30 December 2020.

Please note that early in 2021 the deal is yet to be ratified by the remaining 27 EU member states.

This means that the EU exit transition period has ended and the new Brexit Bill introduced on 1 January 2021.

^ Back to top

Implications of the Brexit Bill

The UK government has implemented new rules for border control, immigration and travel to EU countries and for businesses that trade with the EU.

A cross-council team is in place to ensure that Luton’s communities are prepared and we have a dedicated Brexit lead with a direct link to the government to ensure we receive updates and important information.

^ Back to top

General advice

The government website contains advice for:

  • you
  • your businesses
  • EU citizens and their families living in the UK
  • UK nationals living in Europe

To find out more and to check on what you may need to do as a result of Brexit, please select the relevant links below.

^ Back to top

Open all

The government has also published advice on other things such as:

  • buying from Europe
  • passports
  • driving and travel
  • EHIC cards
  • pets
  • mobile roaming fees

For more information, please visit the prepare for Brexit if you live in the UK webpage.

Follow the government's advice to check if you or your business are ready for Brexit.

Visit the GOV.UK website for more information about entering the UK from the January 2020.

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to the EU settlement scheme to continue living in the UK. Irish citizens don't need to apply under the settlement scheme.

Settled status means you'll remain eligible for:

  • public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship, if you want to apply and meet the requirements

The EU settlement scheme helps eligible people settle in the UK after Brexit.

Apply for settled status

Who can apply?

Citizens of:

  • European Union (EU)
  • Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland

A partnership pack is available for community leaders to promote the settlement scheme.

Online guidance is provided at GOV.UK.

Irish citizens don’t need to apply under the settlement scheme. The government has published guidance on rights of Irish citizens under the common travel area, which are not dependent on UK’s future relationship with the EU.

The government has reached agreements on the rights of citizens of Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein allowing them to use the settlement scheme. These agreements are subject to ratification.

This policy paper includes a statement on EFTA citizens’ rights in the event of no deal.

The government has also produced the following videos:

Telephone guidance is available from the EU settlement resolution centre (0300 123 7379).

If you need help applying for settled status please visit GOV.UK: get help applying to the EU settlement scheme.

Following the UK’s exit from the EU, there are new rules for businesses that came into place on 1 January 2021.

If you run a business in Luton - and employ a number of people from EU countries or import and export goods and supplies - you may have additional things you'll need to do depending on what kind of business you run. Make sure you take action to avoid any potential disruption to your business.

The best place to get information on the new rules is  GOV.UK/transition where you will find useful advice and support and can register to receive the latest news and updates,

The Brexit checker tool helps you get personalised results. You'll be asked a number of questions intended to highlight the specific actions you might need to take, depending upon your circumstances.

Areas to consider

Business travel

As well as the actions all travellers need to take, there are extra actions if you’re travelling to the EU for business.

Business travel includes activities such as travelling for meetings and conferences, providing services (even with a charity), and touring art or music.

See: visit Europe from 1 January 2021

Businesses that employ staff from the EU

Freedom of movement between the UK and EU has now ended and the UK has implemented a points-based immigration system that treats EU and non-EU citizens equally.

Anyone you want to hire from outside the UK, excluding Irish citizens, will need to apply for permission in advance.

See: an introduction for employers

Get your EU professional qualification recognised in the UK

You’ll need to have your professional qualification officially recognised if you want to work in a profession that is regulated in the UK.

It will need to be recognised by the appropriate regulator for your profession and you’ll need to do this even if you’re providing temporary or occasional professional services.

See: get your EU professional qualification recognised in the UK

EU citizens looking to live and work in the UK

Use this tool to find out what to do and when.

See: continue to live in the UK if you're an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen

A helpline for traders and hauliers exporting to and importing from the EU is open 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday. The number to call is 0300 3301 331.

The council’s Economic Development team is on hand to support and signpost you to information, advice and guidance for your business: [email protected].

SEMLEP: there's also useful information available from the SEMLEP Growth Hub.

They can be contacted on 0300 01234 35 or through the SEMLEP website.

Also see:

More EU exit support for businesses: SEMLEP has announced a new programme of EU exit support webinars in partnership with Bedfordshire Chamber of Commerce.

Back to top

© 2022 Luton Council, Town Hall, Luton LU1 2BQ